Paint for a fire back

I need to patch up the fireback in my fireplace.
It's one of those 2-part concrete/firebrick things forming the back to a fireplace consisting of a cast iron arched surround with a coal-effect gas fire in the grate and should be black (it was when it came and was installed).
Above the heat some paint has flaked off leaving a 2" by 4" patch of bare concrete/firebrick/whatever.
Any suggestions for which matt black paint to use? Is there a normal paint for this application?
TIA
Richard
-- Richard Sampson

Maybe barbecue paint would work?
It's fairly matt black and heat resistant........
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Doh!
Never having painted a barbeque, I didn't know such stuff existed ... ta!
-- Richard Sampson

It's normally meant for the inside and will cope with 475 degrees C.
Generally the DIY stores have it, but of course this isn't the time of year.
You might want to give Hammerite, the manufacturer, a call and ask if it's suitable for the surface. www.hammerite.com
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall wrote:

Ther are special fireproof black paints for stoives and firebacks.
Anoher usefeul product is graphite in wax. That dries out to leave a lead color on steel.

Graphite in wax doesn't work on fireplaces. You need an oil binder instead. Look for Zebo grate polish (black and yellow stripey tube, ironmongers or larger supermarkets), not paint-effects patinating wax.
If it's really hot (furnace temperatures) then Purimachos do some zirconia-based paints that handle yellow heat and are cheap. Won't change the surface colour, but it protects the underlying surface.
RichardS wrote on Monday (05/01/2004) :

Matt black high temperature exhaust spray paint should do it. Any car accessory shop.
--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (Lap)