Paint filters for spraying

I was going to order some paint filters for use when preparing finishes for spraying. e.g.:

I note these are available in a range of mesh sizes from 400 down to 125 micron. Any particular reason to chose one over another?

(HVLP gun)

Reply to
John Rumm

Other than removing more fine bits, the time it takes to filter a batch of paint goes up with the fineness...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Yup, makes sense.

I was wondering if there was some kind of guide of say filter grade against needle / spray nozzle size, or paint type etc?

Reply to
John Rumm

Didn't find anything on a quick google...

I use it to take out flakes of dried paint, bits of the coagulated layer of old paint, dirt and grit. I've seen painters painters use a cheap ladies "nylon" for that -- but this was roller and brush, not spray.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Yes. Ladies tights stretched across the container. Amusing if not provocative when they stretch alarmingly in the gusset area.

Reply to
fred