Paint bloom

I painted our metal garage door at the weekend using a Crown non-drip gloss. I reckon I prepared the surface well and used a good undercoat. It looks great apart from three rather large round areas towards the bottom of the door that are very dull and look like they have condensation on them. If I wash the door down they disappear and the whole door looks glossy but as soon as that dries the patches re-appear.
Anyone any thoughts on what might be causing this? It was around 14 degrees c when I painted bit it did drop down to close to freezing overnight afterwards.
Will I have to sand back and repaint??
Malcolm

gloss. I reckon I

from three

and look like

and the whole door

degrees c when I

There wasn't any greasy spots on the door before you sanded it down was there ?
Blooming is caused when excess moisture in the atmosphere at the time of application causes this hazy appearance.
I have never experienced this when brush painting, but when spraying car bodywork. The only solution is to sand all the bloomed paint of and start again, on a warm day!
Cheers
Andrew

gloss. I reckon I

from three

and look like

and the whole door

degrees c when I

gloss. I reckon I

from three

and look like

and the whole door

degrees c when I

When I've had this problem on cellulose I've just sprayed more coats over the top. I haven't needed to sand it back first. With cellulose it's moisture in the air that causes it although I've never heard of this happening with domestic gloss paints.
Rob Graham

I've had the problem, gloss painting in the evening in September, overnight condensation causing a matt finish.
Just slapped another coat on at a more sensible time of day or in lower-humidity weather.
--
Steven Briggs

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 22:55:48 +0100, Steven Briggs

Well as the paint i was using has a drying time of 16hrs i think i'll leave this now until next spring when the warmer weather kicks in! What an excuse! :-)
Malcolm