Paid to play!

Great fun today, had to change a dozen lamps in the street lights of an office complex car park.

They were 5 metres up, so the owner hired a cherry picker. Brought out the small boy in me!

It was a Versalift ET36 NF, based on a Transit van.

piece of kit, I was amazed at how precise the controls were. And what a difference being able to change your height or position effortlessly.

To my surprise it was only £144 + VAT a day including the insurance to drive it but + any fuel.

Certainly would consider hiring one again if the job required it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Totally away from your topic but you reminded me of something that happened to my father years ago when he worked for Hawker Aircraft in Kingston. His car got hit by a lamp post in the car park. A lorry hit a lamp post at the other end of the car park and bent it over. Unfortunately the wiring from post to post was top to top rather than under ground. As a result the whole line of lamp posts, across the entire length of this fairly large car park, followed it and one clouted Dad's car. He had a devil of a job persuading the insurance company that he was telling the truth and only convinced them when he sent a copy of the company newspaper with a picture of his car and the lamp post in it.

Reply to
Tinkerer

In article , tony sayer writes

Which makes it bl'dy difficult to use them to steal street light luminaries, I imagine.

Reply to
fred

Yes, the folks who use the arm on the space station seem to enjoy riding it, I've surprised they do not allow control by the person riding on it but there you go.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Watching these sorts of things in use, the amount of "waving around" at the platform end looks pretty scary, especially to one who likes to keep his feet on the ground, literally.

I really don't want to imagine what it must be like on those mega-platforms that cameramen are sometimes sent up in.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Known to be a bit hairy as an electrical storm approaches too.

Reply to
82045

I'm not a camera person, but if you keep your eyes in the viewfinder, you sort of detach from being miles up on a bean stalk. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This didn't seem to suffer from that. It had controls to move up/down in/out left/right etc and also a speed control. The trick is to move the direction control - then increase the speed control.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Check out this one!

is 12 storeys.