Pah, leaky solvent waste joint

It probably doesn't help, but I don't suppose it does any harm.

The solvent weld cement works buy dissolving the outer layer of the plastic of the pipe fitting/pipe, which then sets, joining it altogether (hence the name).

The is unlike a standard adhesive, which has to bond to disparate materials, where roughening the surface can sometimes help.

Reply to
chris French

In that case, cut it off and re-do it with new bits. Not worth the hassle to fiddle with it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

It's often quite difficult to re-make a joint on an installed system, you may have to cut quite a bit out to get sufficient access. But in this case if you can do that fairly easily it is certainly the best solution. That said, I have a "taped" coupling which has been fine for

20 years. Not actually a failed solvent weld, it's where I have coupled solvent weld to compression pipe (telescoped) and didn't have room for a compression fitting. Have also used it on things like overflow pipes. The thing it won't work on is pressurised pipes (although self amalgamating tape plus jubilee clips will).
Reply to
newshound

One manufacturer's recommended way to make a solvent weld joint is:

Clean all surfaces thoroughly.

Apply primer to outside of pipe Apply primer to inside of socket Apply more primer to outside of pipe

Apply solvent weld to outside of pipe Apply solvent weld to inside of socket Apply more solvent weld to outside of pipe

Press pipe firmly into socket with a twisting action, ensuring that it engages fully with the reduced diameter section deeper in the socket (fitting a flange onto a 4" pipe I find a club hammer is needed for that last bit)

Personally, as it doesn't need to hold against pressure, I would whack an extra bit of solvent weld around the join, leave that to dry off, then wrap it in a few layers of self-amalgamating tape.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Tim Watts scribbled...

All joints in all materials should be clean - I do them automatically. It's not something you need to think about, is it?

Reply to
Artic

RobertL scribbled...

Get carried away and you'd lose the snug fit. Drop a spot of solvent onto some plastic, you'll see the reaction, it's more a weld than gluing.

Reply to
Artic

i'm sure some people prefer to drink the alcohol rather than waste it on wiping pipe joints :)

Reply to
Gazz