Paging woodburning stove owners...

There's a chap on ebay selling a cubic metre of split oak logs for £20. How long, roughly speaking, would this last? If we say a 6-8kw stove, for example. Is that about the usual price?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

"Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net:

A week maybe

Reply to
Chris

Looking at it that is more or less the period I came to for burning on o= ur open fire for around 5hrs/evening.

Cost, around here logs are about =A370 per "load". A load is a little variable but generally the back of a LWB pickup full or a good sized trailer at least 4 m^3 or more.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well, it really depends how much you use the thing. We have a woodburner and gas CH, so it only tends to get used every other afternoon / evening, and approx just under half the amount you're on about would last us a couple of weeks with that sort of use, or a week if we were using it heavily. OTOH we also tend to chuck in a couple of lumps of coal too, which helps to keep it going without a huge amount of wood in it.

Reply to
Doki

If these parts the local woods sell at £50 for a "load" or sawn and split logs[1]. That is a transit sized flatbed pickup sized vehicle, so probably 3m^3

[1] Some would probably require further splitting for use in a log burner.
Reply to
John Rumm

Those were the size/load figures I worked out (at normal seasoning, about

0.75 tonne). Round here a load has topped £100 though :o(
Reply to
Bob Mannix

Sheesh. I just popped out and measured my wood store and it appears we pay £40 for 2 m^3 (just jumboled about, not stacked neatly).

It lasts about a month, burned on an open fire, more for entertainment than heating (although we can usually switch the central heating off once we've worked up a fug in the living room), and we have a fire most evenings.

Reply to
Huge

Thanks chaps.

Also... flues. Would the stove need a complete liner all the way up or just a couple of metres of pipe up the hole to remind the air which way to go, or... ? Normal 3 bed semi.

If, for example, I bought something similar to this:

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

See answers in other threads.

In general you will neeed a liner, which will probably cost more than the stove.

HTH

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

A solid cubic metre split or a load of split logs occupying a cubic metre? A long time ago we test weighed some bulk bags (nominally

0.7m^3 and got less than 300kg of green oak in. I wouldn't absolutely trust my memory but that's probably less than 150kg of oven dry wood.

Bear in mind that a big stack has far less edge effects and you can see a small jumbled stack will have less volume of solid wood in it.

Say his stack is 0.5m^3 of solid oak and the moisture content is around 45% that should gross about 1110 kWhrs of heat released during complete combustion but I think I'm being generous.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

All the way to the pot squire.

Nothing about wood burning stoves is easy, or cheap ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You're not bloody wrong there! Sneaky look-cheap-but-aren't bastards!

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

To be fair, I don't know what current prices here are - I have not ordered any for three years since the winters have been mild enough to not warrant use of the open fire...

Reply to
John Rumm