Paging Andy Hall

Andy, was it you that re-did the heating in your church? The wife was talking to the church warden at the hall where we hold our playgroup and he was saying they were dreading the cost and inconvenience of replacing the heating......I could have sworn you'd dome some funky install?

If you've got a sec can you drop me a message - either on or off group?

Cheers Dan.

Reply to
Dan delaMare-Lyon

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 22:17:33 +0100, Dan delaMare-Lyon wrote (in article ):

No it was Tony Bryer.

He was involved in a project for his Church that involved the use of two Keston boilers glued together in tandem (IIRC)

Actually, the technique is not all that funky. One can go for a big and chunky commercial boiler, but it is also quite reasonable to go for multiple good quality domestic boilers connected using a manifold arrangement.

I'm sure he will spot this, but if not, I am sure that he will respond positively and helpfully to a personal email.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I had wondered about the relative merits and economics of that. For very large buildings/grand country houses/hotels that only require comfort heating in a some parts and damp discouragement in the rest, how does building lots of small heating/plumbing systems out of domestic components compare on installation and running costs with a "boilerhouse" solution?

Reply to
dom

Guilty as charged. 2 x Keston Celsius 25 in parallel through a balancing shunt as per Keston detailing. Plus: redundancy if (sorry when) one boiler fails - these have not proved to be 100% reliable, especially on the ignition side. Minus: twice the service cost: we use the Keston fixed price parts & labour summer service offer (£80 this year) and they don't give a reduction for two at one site.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 23:35:44 +0100, Tony Bryer wrote (in article ):

Even so, I bet that it was less than a commercial boiler serviced by a commercial heating firm would have cost.

Reply to
Andy Hall

About the same as one large commercial boiler then.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It can work out much cheaper. If there is room around massive basements and attics to fit domestic boilers then it can be cost effective. The expensive part tends to the DHW side. If large draw-offs due to rooms (hotel), then large cold tanks and hot cylinders (with usually pump sets) and large boiler for fast recovery, or banks of domestic boilers still has to be fitted.

Installation can be quite cheap overall and no shortage of people to do the maintenance.

They have to be well thought out. I have seen small hotels that were originally large houses and the inevitable extension on the side and back and they have had the local domestic plumber to do it. Some are a nightmare of ill-thought out poorly operating systems.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Not only that there is a somewhat bigger pool of fitters qualified to work on domestic boilers which is likely to have some bearing on the matter.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Unfortunately this does not seem to apply to the Keston Celsius. More than a few seem unwilling to touch them perhaps because the part supply issues.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I haven't tried ordering anything exotic, but HRPC seem to have things like the gaskets in stock for next day delivery.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel