Oxyvent for Underfloor Heating

Has anyone heard or had experience of Oxyvent in Ireland? The founder got a silver medal at the International Exhibition of Inventions in Geneva for this invention. They went into production in 2002 but as far as I know only have installations in Ireland at present. For underfloor heating, the device instantly balances the system , i.e. the water enters the floor at almost the same temperature as the floor and increases gradually, the water is allowed to move freely and quickly through the floors due to the fact that the air has been removed and the flow rate increased by 66%. Because the air is removed, if you have the narrow plastic pipe system for underfloor heating this solves the problem of any clogging up occurring. Web site:

Matt

In article , Matt writes

This is spam right?

Ok, just in case it's not . . . .

Extravagant claims from mystical patented technology, walk away right now!

For UFH wisdom look for, and I hate to say this, IMMs recent replies to Big Wallop in the thread 'Mixing valves for UFH'

Reply to
fred

I'd agree with that.

I wouldn't - much of it is his usual bigoted unsupported claptrap. Unfortunately, as with much of his ramblings, he has blended a superficial knowledge of the subject with abysmal ignorance and a marginal understanding of language. The result is well up to his usual standard of incomprehensibility.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Reply to
BigWallop

Only on Wednesdays and Fridays of intermittent months :-). The comment referred of course to the resident oiks replies to you.

Reply to
Peter Parry

I think his reponse to me on UF heasting says it all

"Always do what the manufacturer says"

Every manufacturer I have ever met has only had one overriding message to give to me

BUY MY PRODUCT.

As a practising engineer for more years than I re,member, my overriding response is 'NO. Not until I have tried it myself'. Someone who gleans all their knoweldge from manufactuirers glossy magznes and brochures and fuirthermore believes them implicily is a dengerous idiot IMHO.

Teh fact that he ocassionally randomly gets something right once in a while should only be the exception that proves the rule.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks guys for all your comments! It looks like this product did not get across the Irish Sea yet, maybe it sunk halfway. As with anything, you need to try the thing yourself before really knowing what will happen. Caveat emptor - so the saying goes. Any engineer will tell you that water starts to give out oxygen from

60 degrees C onwards, the sort of temp that a boiler runs at. All this product seems to be addressing is to remove the the amount of oxygen present in the hot water. I for one have the problem of air being trapped in my underfloor heating system and all the resulting sludge has cut off one of my circuits. Whether the bloody thing works or not, the principle remains a good one, or am I being stupid.
Reply to
Matt

In article , Matt writes

Yes, but it only does it once, the water doesn't break down and produce more oxygen after the initial release so all you need to cover is that situation (provided there is a corrosion inhibitor in the system).

I think there are many ways to recover this situation without spending

490Euros on a 'magic box'.

This guy's box looks like a mini heat store or just a large manifold which will let any air that circulates find a point to collect. You could do the same by creating your own manifolds or 'catch points' and venting them manually or with automatic air vents.

If you have trouble with air in the horizontal section he seems to claim that these are forced out using higher flow rates. There nothing stopping you doing the same, but isolating a circuit at a time and whacking full flow through that circuit to be caught by your new air trap.

IMHO a good design, or minimal redesign, and a few quid (if required) will recover your situation..

You will need to flush your sludged up circuit(s) tho.

Reply to
fred

My God!!! Another know-it-all, who knows little. You installed Polyplumb, who say do not pressurise more than 6 bar. What was it? You went to 15 or something silly!!!! People may think you know what you are talking about, so I have to knock you down.

Polyplumb were not trying to get you buy the product when they said 6 bar, they wanted the product not to fail. Duh!!!

Reply to
IMM

Use mains pressure to get the sludge out. Then insert in-line strainers. One on the boiler return just before the boiler and one on the flow to the UFH pipes, just before the manifold protecting the pump, valves and UFH pipe. Then after the system is cleaned properly insert inhibitor.

Reply to
IMM

And it don't faulil at 15, so its all fine. I wanted to make sure the O-rings wouldn't pop. They didn't. The pipe is probably good for a del more than that.

The bloke who rented me the kit said 'this gauge goes up a long way, don't get 4 bar and 40 bar confused :)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It appears a large manifold and air separator. Having won the award I would take the device seriously, as it indicates that people have tested it and it does roughly what they say it does. I hope they tested it! Was this a recognised and respected organisation that gave the award? Are there any independent tests though? I assume the box is available on the Continent being made in Holland. The claims of 50% less fuel used appear wild, so independent tests are required.

Briefly looking at the web site I fail to see how this box does what they say. I separates air as it is a large air separator, but the rest?

If it does what they say, this device could be incorporated inside a boiler casing.

Sceptical.

Reply to
IMM

I find IMM the most informative on this group on heating and water systems. I have saved many of his postings over the last few years. I particularly like the suggestion of using a combi for the power showers and a low pressure 50-50 split combi cylinder for the remainder of the hot water. I was considering using a either an unvented cylinder or thermal store to eliminate a cold tank in refurbishing my mothers 1969 heating system. The combi boiler and combi cylinder, which is only the size of a thermal store or unvented cylinder, is an excellent cheap easy way which eliminates a separate cold tank in the loft. I am pricing the parts up and so far it is the cheapest option and provides the same as the unvented cylinder and a thermal store.

If you have a personal grudge then please keep it off line.

Reply to
timegoesby

Sure you do Adam.

Reply to