oxygen regulator faulty?

my oxy-acet kit has a regulator that i think may have a fault.... on turning on the gas, the regulator winds round till it hits the stop....if i turn on the nozzle it falls back to the pressure its been set at. is this a fault? can it be repaired?

Steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

I always slacken the regulator fully off on shutdown, when starting I open the bottle, and torch tap, then turn up the regulator to the right sort of pressure.

it sounds like your reg. is defunct, they are dismantleable, but for the danger aspect I have to recommend getting a new one.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Take it to a BOC dealer and exchange it, I scrap regs every year that are

well past their sell-by date, during the annual tests the age should be checked, the function comes later. Though the bvasic check during start-up should, like your experience, find it first.

Dangerous stuff oxygen....

Reply to
Badger

message

This is good practice as it lessens the risk of ignition (on opening the cylinder valve) of polymers/lubricants/contaminants within the regulator from either particle impacts or from (temperatures generated by) adiabatic compression of oxygen inside the regulator. Hydrocarbon greases lubricants must not be used in a high pressure oxygen system.

In particular seals and especially any lubricants must be of the oxygen compatible variety (which usually means fluorocarbon based compounds). And the regulator will need to be precision cleaned to the appropriate standard.

It is not common but oxygen regulator fires have and do occur.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Ingram