Oxidised headlights

The headlights on our 2005 car have yellowed so I'm going to clean them up. I'm probably going to go with the 3M Headlight Restoration Kit (power drill version rather than human power) as it seems to get great reviews, but it doesn't come with any sort of UV protector as far as I can see so can anyone recommend something suitable? Should any other form of sealer/protective coating be used either before or after the UV one?

Reply to
Steve

When my car was MOTed a year ago there was a comment that the headlights were frosty, so after using google, I tried to clean them with toothpaste. It was slow and tedious work.

This year before the MOT I cleaned them with Jif which was much quicker, and there was no comment on the MOT

Reply to
Michael Chare

I tried do do my own and, due to time for MoT, ended up getting garage to do them. Can't remember if it was the next MoT or the one after, they needed doing again. I think my garage did a much better job and they have hardly deteriorated any more.

As far as I am concerned, the bloomin' manufacturer should replace them again and again without being allowed to charge. That might make them choose a more appropriate material, or make replacement much cheaper.

Reply to
polygonum

Mine need doing as well. When asked, the garage said they use wet and dry in the 1000 range, getting finer as the damaged surface comes off, and then finish with T-cut. I'm just waiting for the tuit to arrive so am interested in other people's experiences.

Reply to
nospam