Ownership of land under you

Are you saying that if there is a sewer in your garden you cannot build over it?

We have a common sewer running at the back of our properties. Next door built an extension over it: there was even an inspection chamber which became within the back room. They had the access to the inspection chamber made like you often see in large buildings/malls - a water/air tight access point.

I assume that it was with the permission of the water board - but don't know

Reply to
Judith

No: and what an odd conclusion to jump to. But I do not believe, like you appear to do, that there is no-where to put new houses.

Reply to
Judith

?Q. Who can have a borehole?

A. Almost everybody with a garden, or piece of land can have a borehole.

?Q. Do I need a licence or permission?

A. No, as detailed in the Water Act of 2003 anyone is allowed to extract up to

20 000 litres per day without licence or charge. If you wish to extract more than this, you will need to obtain an Abstraction Licence from the Environment Agency.

Judith

He made it up - as he often does.

Reply to
Judith

You don't need the waterboards consent , you will however have to meet the criteria laid down by building control to get the building paased off.

Not ideal to have an inspection chamber within your extension, one of my clients went away on holiday only to return to find the neighbours contractors had to force entry to clear a blockage.

Reply to
steve robinson

Are you leaving us?

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

That's a lot of baths. What is a farmer allowed to do?

Reply to
Uncle Peter

You are a fool. 93% of the UK is not built on - and you claim that there is nowhere to build new-houses.

However, I now see your "argument" is a ploy to stop immigration,

Where do you get 30 million from?

Reply to
Judith

Funnily enough I was musing to myself earlier today that England could be self sufficient in food production if the population was reduced to about 30 million. 30 million apparently is what the population of England was at the start of the 20th century. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland could well be self sufficient in food production at their current population densities. Neither Wales nor NI would appear to be self sufficient when it comes to tax revenues.

I had to delete the cross post to uk.legal in order to post this message.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

No. I was making the point a small sewer might not be on any plans, but a significantly sized on ought to be.

Why?

Because weeny sewers like mine were slammed in as a big house sold off a large piece of it's land to someone else to build another house. This got repeated a couple more times in my case.

So as part of the process the original drain from the big house was tapped into by the next 2 new houses. Mine was the last sell + build back in the 50's.

It seems that someone sensibly decided that one more house warranted my section being upgraded to 6" with my 4" and the upstream 4" sewers feeding into it.

This is all being done by small builders, not the water company - hence no plans.

Now - if a water company at any point needed to build a big sewer for

20+ houses they *should* have a map, but of course there may be cases where it was done so long ago, the map was lost.

However on the balance of probabilities, a large sewer is likely to be documented and a small one perhaps not.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I do wonder why you haven't taken that step yourself.

Several reasons. Foreign food at cheap prices will not be available much longer and in the medium term may not be available in meaningful quantities at all. The UK balance of payments deficit is extenuated by food imports. And strategically not being able to feed yourself is a pretty poor lifestyle choice whether you are an individual or a country. It nearly did for the UK kin two world wars. I don't know whether you ever lived in the UK or are just pontificating out of ignorance from the other side of the world but if what you have posted about you age recently is true and you started life in the UK then you are certainly old enough to remember living under rationing.

No. half the pasture had to be used to support the horses used on farms and in any case farming technology has improved no end since then but significant further advances in agriculture are much harder to achieve these days.

No? Do tell how they farm in Kensington and Chelsea.

You wish. Now would you achieve that by increasing the tax rates or reduce them?

Heating a well insulated house cost peanuts as well but that has not stopped you being too miserly to heat your house.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

No, it's a ploy to get the population level down to a sensible, sustainable, level. The destruction of the environment is caused by overpopulation, essentially.

My next offer is 25 million. You have read The Godfather, I take it?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Nah! Just me & sod the rest of you.

P.S. How would you split that 30/10 million between England, Scotland, Wales & NI?

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

In message , Sam Plusnet writes

England 30million and the rest divided equally between Wales and Scotland.

Reply to
bert

I don't expect Rod to come up with anything other than abuse so I thought I would do a little digging myself to see if I was anywhere near right. I have culled some figures from a variety of sources, some ancient but mostly modern and not as accurate as I would have liked.

The two most important are that approximately 70% of England (9.3 million hectares) is still farmland and in late Victorian Britain there were about 3.3 million horses so maybe 2.8 in England.

Of the farmland 36% is arable but the remainder includes rough grazing and woodland. So hay meadows and permanent pasture is unlikely to add up to more than 60% or 5.6 million hectares. Divide that among our 2.2 million horses and we end up with a nice round figure of 2 hectares per horse. Now that would be a generous allocation for a horse but what hasn't been mentioned so far is the grassland required for all the cattle, sheep, pigs, goat, etc. that also require grassland to survive. Starting at the other end of the puzzle I came to the conclusion that anything much less than 1 hectare for one horse for Summer grazing and winter hay would be problematical for the horse. All in all I don't think my estimate was very far out and might even have been a tad conservative.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Try my bedroom: 26 floors up, two floor-ceiling glass walls - in the winter I leave an electric heater on all night. I'm just getting a split system aircon installed, mainly for cheap heating. Summer (for me) is OK up to 35C as in Melbourne hot is generally dry heat and the overhanging balconies act as sunshades when the sun is high. Stupidly it's now the trend in the suburbs to build new houses with no eaves, increasing aircon use significantly.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Snip

This is the last time I will attempt to respond to anywhere near all the garbage Rod is spewing out. It is getting extremely long winded and his replies are largely aimed at avoiding the question when they are not just meaningless insults.

snip

By sustainable I meant self sufficient as you well know. At 30 million there is at least some chance that England could feed itself reasonably well without imports. The prospect is much bleaker for a higher population.

The whole world is at risk in the future with increasing population and reducing farmland. It is ultimately unsustainable. You could argue that crunch time may be much more distant than I think it is but you have a closed mind and deny it completely.

Think what you like but the facts say otherwise.

snip

I am not aware of the EU doing any such thing. AFAIK 'set aside' ceased in 2008. Have you any actual evidence that the EU, the USA, Canada and that anonymous host of other countries are still paying farmers not to grow food?

More garbage.

I must have forgotten to put in that bit about the UK being in surplus for 1998 or that the average over the years 1955 to 1984 was close to zero.

Your claim that Britain did fine would only be valid if those who suffered under forced rationing agreed with you. I very much doubt you would find much support for that viewpoint among those who actually remember the war years.

I think you will find that the actual was quite small rather than 'a lot' and the price that had to be paid was hunger pains and a boring diet that would these days cause a riot if served up in a school canteen.

You seem to forget completely about lack of exercise, smoking and drinking alcohol.

Some of the regional wars have seen major campaigns and we don't know how close we came to Armageddon when Russia tried to park its nuclear missiles as close to the USA as the USA had parked its missiles close to Russia.

snip

That is what is known in the trade as a non sequitur.

You are still being coy about yourself. What have you got to hide?

Rationing in the USA did not start until 1942 and food rationing not until 1943.

Your original comment was false.

You don't seem to have any connection with scientific reality whatsoever.

So you think but as usual no substance to back you illusions up.

It is completely irrelevant to the way you mind works or to be more accurate doesn't work.

If you don't concentrate the bulk of the population in cities then there would be even less usable farmland but other things being equal with a lower the population you will get more farmland producing more food for a smaller population.

snip

You said changing tax rates. It up there above for all to see. So how do you go about changing them without either increasing or reducing them?

snip

So you really haven't got passive solar, just large north facing windows and no insulation keep the heat in.

What you have written immediately above doesn't seem to make sense. The only thing that comes close to letting more heat in than out is coated glass and it would be a travesty to call that sort of glass insulation.

That it is but it involves insulation which keeps the heat in in winter and out in summer. your house doesn't appear to fit the design criteria.

Oh well we live and learn. I always thought the bulk of Australia was extremely hot and largely devoid of habitation.

What a bunch of wimps modern Aussies must be!

"Brisbane has a subtropical climate with warm or hot weather for most of the year. In summer (December ? February), maximum temperatures average around 30°C. The city experiences its highest rainfall in summer which sometimes brings thunderstorms and occasional floods. This is also the most humid time of the year in Brisbane. Winter time is generally dry and mild. Most winter days are sunny with average temperatures of around

17°C. The average monthly rainfall over the year is around 96 mm."
Reply to
Roger Chapman

You have just proved what I said about you elsewhere is correct.

Learn to read and comprehend before responding. That way you won't seem such a complete idiot.

Is it? What is irrelevant about the half of pasture not used for horses being used for other farm animals?

Ah the royal we. Now I see why you have such a problem with those who do not agree with you.

But fine with what? As usual lacking any facts to back up the insults.

You have done absolute nothing to undermine my figures. All you do is whinge.

So where are your figures for the area of grassland a horse needs to feed it through the summer and the area of hay that needs to be cut to feed it through the winter?

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Reply to
S Viemeister

So what?

nobody said anything about caring about being embarrassed , so why bring in a complete irrelevance.

Although of course most people do prefer not be embarrassed. The term wouldn't exist otherwise.

You may think that pitiful, but you have proved time and time again in this group that you have no idea at all how normal people think.

I have no idea whatsoever why you stupidly believe the phrase to be meaningless.

It has a meaning, which is usually fairly well defined.

Wrong.

Wrong.

They won't care about the type of flames that are just idiots posting rubbish, but any rational adult does care when they are getting flamed because they have got things wrong or have needlessly and knowingly upset people.

Reply to
Alex Heney