Ownership of land under you

Because you need to drop it in an induction zone not a volcano, stupid. They are all under the sea and we aren't allowed to dump it at sea.

Reply to
dennis

London Underground has had similar problems with its older supply cables.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

With trolls, it's far kinder to put them down with a humane kill file.

Feeding them, no matter how tempting it may seem in the short-run, simply isn't the answer.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

I've worked from home for most of the last 15 years, and I've implemented Work from Home at two companies I've worked for during that period.

It doesn't suit everyone, or every task.

It can create an enormous increase in productivity, flexibility, and a reduction in stress in many cases, and gives you access to a larger potential workforce to choose from when building teams. If you are trying to build a world leading team (or even a country leading team), it's essential because most of the experts in any given topic won't live anywhere near your offices, and you wouldn't otherwise be able to employ them. Works very well if you need to provide shift cover too - you don't have staff trying to travel at anti-social hours, and you can make use of staff with other daytime commitments (such as young children) to provide evening cover which other staff might be less interested in doing.

Can be a really big win, and I'm only surprised that it's still not done much more often.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Exactly where would that be? The only information I have managed to find on the Internet on salt in Cheshire refers to extraction either via brine or by deep mining. My failure could be down to my less than adept searching skills but personally I have never heard of rock salt actually being quarried. Likewise coal. Surface extraction of coal is always referred to as open cast mining.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

I think it is the water boards responsibility since change in regulations 2 or 3 years ago.

Reply to
Judith

It is still all mining and the other two versions and indeed the author(s) of the article would appear to be from a distinctly foreign culture. Anyone know of an open cast coal mine in the UK that is commonly referred to as an open pit or open cut mine?

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Yep - there is 7% of UK built on. Nowhere at all to build anything else.

Reply to
Judith

Maybe the area I'm thinking bout is worked out - but I remember that, as a teenager, (1950s) visting n opencast salt mine somewhere near Knutsford.

Reply to
charles

Calling someone a troll for disagreeing with them is pathetically childish. Or you have some kind of inferiority complex?

Reply to
Uncle Peter

2 years.

But that's not the point I was making...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I thought an induction zone was to do with cooking?

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Only when angry. Most sit there bubbling away. The nuclear crap would most likely dissipate into the red stuff.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Statistics on open-pit coal mining are compiled by the British Geological Survey from information provided by local planning authorities, and available at "Opencast coal statistics".

Foreigners might call it open pit but I was looking for English usage, not foreign.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Maybe, but are you sure it wasn't a salt pan being harvested?

Reply to
Roger Chapman

bloody speil chucker, subduction.

Reply to
dennis

So you're OK with building on all the farmland, forests, greenbelt, mountains, wild-life areas, reservoirs, ... ??

England pop density: 420/sq mile France pop density: 105/sq mile

People like you are the first to whinge when a new railway needs to be built: "the French can do it, why can't we!"

Reply to
Tim Streater

Ahhh! That makes more sense. Well surely there's an exception to the sea rule if it's being sucked away like a Dyson on steroids?

Reply to
Uncle Peter

RB Kensington and Chelsea has a density of 34,000 per square mile, some of the most expensive housing in Britain and the borough includes significant areas of parkland. My old home, LB Richmond, also near the top of the desirable and expensive list, has a density of 8,500 and huge areas of parkland (Richmond, Bushy and Hampton Court parks being the biggies). At the latter density Kent on its own could accommodate

12 million people with 50% not built on.
Reply to
Tony Bryer

I can't get these figures to reconcile but no matter. What can be said about Kensington and Chelsea with some degree of certainty is that next to no real food is grown within its boundaries and most of its essential services such as sewage treatment and potable water supplies are also outsourced as, most likely, is power generation.

Depending on which particular set of estimates you consult up to 40% of the food consumed in the UK is currently imported. As the rest of the world continues to breed without any concern for the future the supply of food from overseas will eventually dry up as more and more countries become net importers. As the UK population will increase as well our food resources will become more and more inadequate. The primary source for new housing developments and other large scale infrastructure projects such as reservoirs is good quality farm land which also does not bode well for the future. Soylant Green anyone?

uk.legal removed. "forbidden crosspost"

Reply to
Roger Chapman