Ownership of land under you

There could have been, many years ago when most of these things were done.

But it didn't happen, and even if it had, it would not make any difference to most people now, because any such payments would have been made to the owners of the land at the time development/mining/whatever was started.

Reply to
Alex Heney

One day, by sheer random chance, you may post those words regarding something which actually does make sense.

This was not that occasion.

It can only happen by sheer random chance because you have shown on

*many* occasions that you idea of "sense" is not one shared by many people.
Reply to
Alex Heney

Grand Designs actually. I watched that specific program on More4 fairly recently.

Reply to
Alex Heney

Why shouldn't it? I can dig a pond or swimming pool. I can dig a column to insert thermal heating ducts or whatever they call them. Why can't I dig indefinitely?

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Correct.

Although they would nowadays only get planning permission if they showed that the tunneling would not cause any structural issues to your house or other neighbouring properties.

Reply to
Alex Heney

Say there's some coal under my house. Why should my neighbour have more right to it than me just because she asked first?

Reply to
Uncle Peter

??? as you take water water comes from next door to replace what you took which means you are taking next doors water.

Reply to
F Murtz

That's worrying...

Reply to
Tim Watts

When I worked for an Electricity Board, several decades ago, they were in the process of trying to map the underground distribution network. It mostly relied upon the memories of road gang foremen going back as far as the 1930s. If they had forgotten something it didn't get onto the maps.

Reply to
Nightjar

compulsory

Probably not, I'd have to read the deeds to make sure on that point. It almost certainly varies depending on whose layers were more on the ball when the deeds were drawn up.

house

Pretty sure that under our Deeds they would be liable full stop.

Your neighbour has no more right to the coal than you. All she has done is let them have access to dig a hole. She may well get paid but that is for allowing access not for the coal.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes:-)

Depends on the land use: you get more for arable than grass. Also depends on size, number of stays etc.

Ditto BT poles. They also pay for buried cable.

Big flurry some years back when there was talk of adding data cable to existing distribution routes.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

That was not uncommon. My Dad was one of the people that told them which way to dig to meet up. One was as close as 4ft out over a 5 mile distance - not bad when it was all worked out by hand (or in his casr the back of a cig packet)

Reply to
ARW

Too strong for the southern poofters is Capstan.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

She wouldn't.

Why do you believe she might?

Reply to
Alex Heney

I remember reading that the USA was pleased about Sputnik beating them into orbit. That established that the USSR considered it OK to do so without needing any permission from the countries over which it flew. The USA had been concerned the USSR was going to play merry hell if the USA had overflown the USSR.

Reply to
polygonum

As you obviously you feel so strongly about this I hope you will ask your local council not to put salt on your roads this winter as it has been taken from under people's houses without their permission

Reply to
bert

In message , michael adams writes

Nuclear waste problem finally solved

Reply to
bert

Call me stupid, but why don't we put it into volcanoes?

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Isn't it illegal for anything to approach the USA without their permission? They have tourist mania. Oops, I pronounced it like an American. I meant terrorist mania.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Fuck me but you're *stoopid*. Ever noticed what volcanoes do, eh? They shovel shit *upwards*.

Reply to
Tim Streater