Ownership of land under you

Eh? 220 gallons here.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Our water has come froma private company ever since the hosue was built in

1911. The original small company has been merged with other since - but it's never been in Council hands. Unlike the drains.
Reply to
charles

Unlikely. Thass getting on for 20,000 litres, a big chunk of a tanker load.

Lessee now: a metre is 39.37 ins, so a cubic metre is (39.37 / 12) cubed = 35.313 cu. ft. One cubic foot contains about 6.25 gallons, so I make it more like 220 gallons.

Reply to
Tim Streater

What y'all need is the Unix "units" program;

huge@amun:~$ units Currency exchange rates from 2013-07-11

2564 units, 85 prefixes, 66 nonlinear units

You have: m**3 You want: brgallon * 219.96925 / 0.00454609 You have:

Reply to
Huge

You might hope that this would be the case, but the solicitor that did our first house purchase failed to notice conversion of garage to a room and a garage added to side of house without planning permission.

This only came to light when we tried to sell it a few years later and the purchasers solicitors were not quite so dozy. Thankfully by then we had much better conveyancing solicitors who sorted out retrospective planning permission but it did look dodgy for a few weeks.

Reply to
Martin Brown

harryagain posted

Where does it say this?

Thousands of residential properties in the UK obtain water from springs either on or off their property, without the water companies knowing anything about it. The owners have the rights appended to their deeds.

Reply to
Big Les Wade

Martin Brown posted

Probably superfluous. Planning breaches dating back more than (IIRC) three years cannot be enforced.

Reply to
Big Les Wade

Quite we have Title Absolute on Our Bit of England but we can't stop the mineral rights owner (who ever that is) digging under or even removing Our Bit of England to get at the Lead, Zinc, Coal etc that

*is* down there. They do have reinstate Our Bit of England afterwards though (ha!).

Who ever has the Mineral Rights. Probably one of the big mining/mineral firms like Rio Tinto etc

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

My rising main has a flow of 55l/min (I measured it before I put any plumbing in).

I reckon therefore if I opened all the taps, I could burn through 79m3 in a 24 hour period.

Reply to
Tim Watts

You misspelt Mafia.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Care to name any coal mining areas in the UK:-)?

Reply to
ARW

Hatfield, South Yorkshire. HA!

Reply to
Mr Pounder

That is one of the big differences between fracking in the USA and the UK. In the USA the landowner does get the spoils of any oil/gas under his land (or at least a percentage of them if he invites someone else to dig it up for him) - not so in UK it goes to gummint - who may or may not license other private companies to extract it. Hence why lots of individuals have gained significantly from Fracking in USA - wont happen over here.

Reply to
CB

If you're on a meter, that could be expensive, what is it about £2/m^3 ?

Reply to
Andy Burns

That is your opinion.

It has nothing to do with reality.

Reply to
Alex Heney

Sometimes there is no need to "move on".

Reply to
Alex Heney

How can you think it's ok for you to have something valuable under your house and it not belong to you?

Reply to
Uncle Peter

It makes sense for the owner of the land to have everything on or under it.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

The oil should belong to whoever is above it.

The underground should pay all the house owners.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

In principle you might take action against the "dozy" solicitor for negligence - they should have insurance to cover material loss.

Reply to
Tim Watts