Overheating boiler damaging fan

I have just replaced the fan again in my Gloworm Swiflo combi boiler, this time it only lasted 3 months. It didn't have a warranty because the previous one (three fans ago) showed signs of damage due to the boiler overheating, fair enough, it looked yellowed to me. In the shop they suggested that overheating may be caused by a blocked heat exchanger.

The fans are reconditioned and my suspicion is that the last fan was crap, it wasn't yellowed and it was noisy almost as soon as it was installed.

My question is, how would I know if my boiler was overheating? there doesn't seem to be an overheating warning light. If the heat exchanger was blocked then surely I wouldn't be getting hot water out of my tap.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Reply to
Rednadnerb

Billion dollar question: was it or was it not from CET? :-)

Reply to
YAPH

No, it was from Adlink in Alperton.

Reply to
Rednadnerb

just requesting article - hotmail gets filtered

Reply to
geoff

In message , Rednadnerb writes

There you go - I don't look for excuses not to honour warranties

Use Adlink at your peril

Reply to
geoff

Whether or not the fan came from a trustworthy source or not, the fact that it failed so soon should make you think there may be an underlying reason.

1) Check burner pressure and gas rate (see gas fitting FAQ) 2) Check for partially obstructed airways, anything from plants in the air intake to crud on the burner side of the main heatX, or even a melted flue where some idiot has used the wrong flue components.

The reverse process of a poor fan (but which still manages to trigger the APS) can cause substantial damage to a boiler, but that assumes the bad fan is the cause not the symptom.

Reply to
Ed Sirett