Oven temps

That's what it said on the pasta packet I looked at. Obviously not egg or green pasta, just the normal stuff.

Reply to
Clive George

When you burn gas, you get water. So electric ovens are bound to dry things out quicker.

Reply to
harryagain

Gas hobs put lots of condensation out as well as nasty pollutants. Bad it you have asthma.

Reply to
harryagain

Yeah but, they take much longer to *cook*, which isn't the same as just drying out.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

If I understand food labelling in this area at all, I think that if they add water to flour, make a paste, squeeze it through a machine to form the right shape and dry it, and the final weight is exactly the same as the weight of flour used, any water used in the process does not have to be listed. But I could be entirely wrong!

Reply to
polygonum

It certainly isn't the same. But our not-very-old cooker's fan oven seems to recirculate its air in an almost closed loop. Depending on what is being cooked, it sometimes seems to be a positively wet environment inside.

One vegetable dish I cook regularly used to be hovering between being cooked and being desiccated in the old oven. Now it hovers between being cooked and still being too wet and soggy. I used to ensure that the vegetables were wet when put in. Now I make sure they are dry.

The new oven most assuredly uses much less electricity! And the kitchen seems to gain little heat until we finish cooking and leave the oven door open! :-)

Reply to
polygonum

Even modern gas ovens let less heat escape than older ones.

Reply to
John Williamson

Electric ovens don't have a free flow of air through them so cook in a virtually sealed atmosphere so don't dry food out as fast.

Reply to
dennis

Dry air is bad for asthma.

What pollutants do you think burning natural gas gives out?

Reply to
dennis

A couple of inches of mineral wool wrapped around the oven does that sort of thing. IMO gas hobs and electric ovens are best for most things. Harry will prefer electric as it means he doesn't have to export anything from his panels.

Reply to
dennis

Ah, that makes some sense.

Reply to
Adrian

Yes, that's what pasta is more or less. Dried flour and water paste.

Sometimes has egg and salt added.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There's no water in it when I make it...

Reply to
Adrian

Yeh, but I wasn't clear enough: I said "a struggle to keep it boiling"

-- meaning "to bring it back to the boil [and then keep it boiling]". In "the old days" on our cooker it was no problem at all to get a pan of spuds back to the boil [on the medium ring], and then turn down the ring to keep them simmering.

BTW: useful thread this, thanks Dave.

John

Reply to
Another John

Does roasting peanuts need a special oven temperature?

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Maybe the thermostat is caked up? Might be easy to clean or replace

Reply to
stuart noble

CO, trace hydrocarbons, a few sulphur compounds (from the stenchant, if nothing else), the odd bit of NOx and carbon particles...

Of course, these should only be in trace amounts. You'd probably notice CO from the headaches - if your detector didn't, and you didn't die.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

You wont get any significant CO, hydrocarbons or NOx from burning natural gas in an oven or hob unless its faulty and/or in a not well ventilated room.

Where are you getting the sulphur from?

Reply to
dennis

Read my last post again please. More carefully this time.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

So you think a few parts per billion is significant? There is probably more sulphur from the farts in the room.

Reply to
dennis