oven heat deflectors and pyrolytic cleaning

Many electric oven manuals say something like:

The use of heat protection strips is prohibited for cookers and ovens with = Pyrolytic Cleaning, if the recess has a rear wall and closed ground-level c= ompartment. However installation is possible with a ground-level compartmen= t that has been shortened by at least 20 mm and which has base ventilation = of the same cross-section.

Is this trying to say that the strips will reduce ventilation under the ove= n (not sure there would be anyway), so extra ventilation is required behind= ? Will the wiring gap be sufficient to achieve this anyway ? I guess there could be an issue with ikea kitchens where the cabinet under = the oven goes right to the back of the wall.

Cheers, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

The use of heat protection strips is prohibited for cookers and ovens with Pyrolytic Cleaning, if the recess has a rear wall and closed ground-level compartment. However installation is possible with a ground-level compartment that has been shortened by at least 20 mm and which has base ventilation of the same cross-section.

Is this trying to say that the strips will reduce ventilation under the oven (not sure there would be anyway), so extra ventilation is required behind? Will the wiring gap be sufficient to achieve this anyway ? I guess there could be an issue with ikea kitchens where the cabinet under the oven goes right to the back of the wall.

******************

Had a quick Goolge to try and find out what a heat protection strip was in this context. Not much information but they seemed to be add ons to cabinets which were near a heat source.

Pending further information, I would guess that anything that reflects back the heat would increase the heat in the area behind the oven, and so would require an airflow from floor to ceiling to ensure that the back of the oven does not overheat.

Again presumably the reference to pyrolitic cleaning is because these ovens are supposed to be run at the maximum possible temperature every now and then to burn off the gunge. I am assuming this means that there is likely to be more heat coming off the back of the oven, requiring more ventilation. I would have thought you would need this extra ventilation regardless of the use of heat protection strips.

Perhaps the explanation is arse about face? i.e. if you fit a pyrolitic oven, then heat protection strips are not enough on their own to protect the surrounding cabinets.You need through ventilation as well.

I would follow the instructions about ventilation :-) Our oven is pyrolitic and has a ventilation channel up the back of the unit.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

It sounded like the info is taken from a standard (BS or an EU one) since the text is the same in many different oven installation manuals. It turns out that since I did not continue the plasterboard to the floor, there is a ventilation space there anyway, plus the oven will end up about 20mm from the wall, so there is enough ventilation space anyway.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson