Oven flex or cable

A little surprised today to find that a request for 6mm heat resistant flex at a branch of a chain of electrical wholesalers was met with "never stocked it" and a similar response to 4mm. They called another branch and the response was "use twin & earth". Without reference to regs I would have thought "if you can move it without disconnecting it use flex". You could (still can? ) use pvc flex for cooking appliances where not in contact with hot parts - so for a free standing cooker you could possibly be satisfied that the flex "run" was OK how can you do that for built in appliances?

Just for ease of installation as in getting the double oven into (and out?) of the housing I'll use flex but is cable allowable? - and how do you get the oven in without the cable "folding up" behind the appliance?

PeterK

Reply to
PeterK

TLC do a 4mm butyl flex, which they claim is heat resistant and suitable for use where there may contact with grease or oil.

Is there an issue for normal PVC flex and grease/oil?

Lee

Reply to
Lee

PeterK said the following on 11/11/2006 20:12:

You do use T&E and it does need a "fold up" loop behind, so you can pull the cooker out. The point here, I think, is that you don't pull the cooker out very often (if ever in most cases), so the cable is not flexed very often, so it doesn't need to be flexible.

Reply to
Rumble

T&E has been used for a long time to connect cookers to the outlet. As the other post said they don't get moved very often so it is quite safe.

Dave

Reply to
gort

TW&E is ok because movement isn't going to be a common thing unlike say with an iron. And of course it can stand quite a bit of flexing as it will get this during installation.

You leave a loop of suitable length behind the appliance for easy removal. All appliances provide room for this in a standard enclosure.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)