[SOLVED] Oven door hinges locked in transit position. Won't unlock.

I just thought I'd clean the oven door of my Hygena Diplomat. Bad move.

The door removes by lifting some catches on the hinges and closing the door. Instead of closing it lifts to allow removal. So far so good.

The problem comes when I am cleaning the removed door I accidentally push the hinge. It closes and clicks in a fully retracted position, which I assume is for transit or something.

I am normally quite good working these things out but this time I'm stumped. There just doesn't seem to be any way to unlatch this hinge. I have removed it from the glass door completely to have a closer look. It's made by a company called "Nuova Star".

They have a website

no information on the website on how to unlock locked hinges. From what I can tell the hinge I have is on this page...
is model HE1S - Mod.086.

If anyone has experience with these hinges and knows how to unlock them I would much appreciate it. Thanks Fred.

Reply to
Fred Phase

From the picture, it looks like there is a spring loaded lock within the long arm section that, when closed, locks into the little notched valley on the small section. You may have to pull out the spring loaded bar to allow it to release from the notch.

Reply to
BigWallop

Yes, that fixed it. As a always the case I figured it out 10 minutes after posting!

In case anyone else gets into the same pickle, this is how to fix it...

1) Grip hinge assembly in a vice between the big spring and the arm that holds it, but not across the arm as this will deform it. This should rest on a ledge on the arm alllowing downward force. 2) Apply a flat-blade screwdriver to the ping at the end of the spring loaded lock. Press the pin to relieve the pressure on the hinge. 3) Pull the hinge out, or prise it from the back until it starts to move. 4) Extend the hinge as far out as you can.

Hope that helps someone out there :-)

Reply to
Fred Phase

Thank you so,so much for this post. Have been searching the internet for solutions after the oven door hinges locked when pulling out the door and gladly have found your instructions. Unlocked hinges and door back on the oven,ever so happy! To to say once you know what to do how easy it's. I'm a woman with no DIY skills,just wanted to clean between glass on my oven door. Next time I'll know to push the latch as far back as possible before pulling door out,so the hinge won't lock up again.

Reply to
Klara

We'll have you building a house soon enough. Rod Speed will probably offer plans :)

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I'm sorry, I'm having trouble following these instructions, could anybody help me get this hinge into the position needed to put my oven door back on? Thanks, I'm so worried

Reply to
Casey

Hi, it took me a while to understand instructions as well. Basically the spring is far too strong to pull it back by hand so you really need to put it vice to hold it firm while you push the small pin back. I have no vice so managed to use the edge of my old worktop instead. On each side of the hinge you'll find a small rounded looking,almost flat pin and either side can be pushed back with a flat screwdriver....unfortunately you need quiet a bit of force for this and the pin won;'t stay there either,you have to keep pushing it hard. The bit that locked in can then be pulled back(again not easily,you need a bit of force) and if you manage to pull it all the way back,you can then pull over it the other piece of metal that keeps it there.

2 people might manage it better,however,if you're on your own like I was I used the edge of the worktop to actually with the push slide the hinge far out,while holding the whole thing with one hand and pushing the pin with screwdriver in other hand. Took me a few tries before it has happened. Be warned to watch your hands...the spring has a great force and you don't want your fingers get trapped in there if the latch springs back on it.

Hope it helps....I don't know the technical names for the parts.

Reply to
Klara

Thank you, I managed in the end, I was so relieved!

Reply to
Casey

I'm convinced that everyone should be taught how to use a Mole Wrench at school. They have so many uses, in this case you can use them as a substitute vice to grip the hinge securely and provide you with more leverage.

Reply to
newshound

replying to Fred Phase, Jackie wrote: Thank you Fred ...you solved our problem for us

Reply to
Jackie

replying to Fred Phase, bp wrote: I come late to this, but after encountering the same problem today it seems that on some models there MAY be another far easier way. On reinserting the door one instinctively wants to close it; but to get at the hinge locks you should actually OPEN it completely (that is, at right angles). On my model it is then very simple to get at the locks. Sounds to me as if you might be doing precisely this, but by a much more laborious and round about route. Hope this helps.

Reply to
bp

OMG 2003 this time. I'm wondering who Fred Phase is/was. The cooker is long dead assuming the OP isn't!

It would be smarter if the website didn't allow you to reply to very old posts!

This might assist you with posting to a newsgroup, albeit through a website:

- If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just enough text of the original to give a context.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Yes that is presumably what he meant by coming late to this? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I do mind that most such posts don't give enough info to know what problem they are trying to solve, but that's not the case here iether.

However, I've been reading this group for iirc 20 years and I don't remember Fred Phase or most of the other people they reply to. Does anyone rememeber Fred Phase?

Reply to
micky

Scary huh, I think I have wasted 15 years listening to you lot so far ;-)

Looks like he only posted to two threads according to a google groups search.

Oddly that thread has been resurrected a few times now in 2015 and 2016.

Reply to
John Rumm

replying to bp, CK wrote: Glad to see your post, thought I am late. Also glad you said "there may be another far easier way", I take it you mean this is as you assemble the door. The trouble is, the locked hinge is already at right angle to the door and cannot be rotated out because is is locked. Mine is a Whirlpool AKP 262/1X but the concept all sounds the same. When putting the door back with the hinge locked at right angle, the door will be in close position. The hinge won't budge because it is locked. May be we are describing different problem or may be your model is completely different but desperate for any help just in case what you suggest can work on mine. Thanks.

Reply to
CK

Yes 14 years late. The article to which you are replying was posted in 2003

See

alan_m

replying to Fred Phase, RussT wrote: This morning I replaced a pair of hinges on our Diplomat Oven - what a hell of a job, and very dangerous to the hand!

Reply to
RussT

and the brain as well, looking at where you are posting through? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

replying to bp, Christina wrote: OMG...you wonderful human being! Thank you so much; I would have wasted hours without your help! Really awesome ?

Reply to
Christina