Oven connector

Oven blew fuse. On investigation a partially melted connector block appears to be the problem. This is the main junction in the wiring loom. Its a white nylon two part block. The two parts snap together, or they did 'till one side melted.12 wires in 12 wires out. In other words they just go straight through. I cannot establish how these wires are secured to the connector block. First question. What is this type of connector called ? Second question. Can I re-wire one if I get my hands on it and how would I do this ? Third question. Given the environment (Back of an oven under the rear of the hob) Is it likely to be anything special in the way of heat resistance etc. ? Final questions. Could I remake the connections with a choc block? Would I need to protect the choc block from the heat? Is a screw type fixing a bad idea in an area that may suffer extreme temperature variations ?

I only have tomorrow to sort this out before Christmas day !!

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
TPMcCann

the world is not as standardized as I would prefer - there is no death penalty for causing un-necessary increases in entropy. So, call the manufacturer and ask what __he__ calls it.

I will guess that it's some flavor of compression fitting ("crimp"), but - ask the manufacturer

maybe it __should have__ been.

just read the manufacturer's advisories that come with the fixture

temperature is probably not the issue. Temperature change per unit time is more likely the showstopper.

Reply to
dances_with_barkadas

Well tomorrow is Christmas Eve which is why I turned to this group for an answer. Also given that the connector is slightly melted it would be extremely difficult to read the name on it, if it had one. And lastly this type of connector can be found in all kinds of machinery incl.cars so it is not specific to the oven manufacturer any more than the 3 pin plug on your hairdryer

This is tiresome. If I could ask the manufacturer I would not ask the question here.

I _ really _ don't _ get _ your_ obsession_ with_ underscores. Is it perhaps an indication of intelligence ? Hmmmmmmmmm works doesn't it.

Why did you bother to reply to my query when you are being merely fascetious and puerile

Well I didn't specify just temperature but temperature variation. I don't imagine it would require any great intelligence to comprehend the temperature variations and the time scale involved.

Nice try but not worth the biscuit.

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
TPMcCann

Only_a_thought_but [sorry, couldn't resist it!] how about a trip to the local tip in the morning and see if you can find something similar [ish] to tide you over? Doesn't need to be exactly the same just heat res. with roughly same number of connections. Other than that go with your original idea

Reply to
grumpyat

Can't help with the proper name etc. but since you only have Monday to sort then for a temporary solution look at the battery connectors at

AFAIK the wires are a substantial size and are heat resitant. If you only have a few melted connections then can you bridge them with these and use choc blocks in a cooler location?

Many of these multicore connector blocks have the pins/sockets secured in the plastic shell by barbs on the side of the pins/sockets see

for an example.

I've just noticed that the hard drive power splitter cables I have lying around are rated at 80deg C and 18awg - like these

PeterK

Thanks for the suggestion. Might just do that

Paul

Reply to
TPMcCann

Very helpful. The wiring is actually quite light. Not unlike what you might see in a wiring loom. If all else fails I'll use choc blocks as a stop gap measure.

Paul

Reply to
TPMcCann

Do the wires need to be separated, or does it look to be just like that because the way it was manufactured?

If so, could you solder and (High Temperature) heat shrink them?

Reply to
Sparks

I'd go for ceramic choc-blocks if I could get them in time.

Screw terminals seem to be used for connecting elements in (amongst others) storage heaters so should be OK.

The inside wiring (including connectors) of modern electric ovens gets biscuity and crispened after a few years anyway, so it's probably not got long on this earth.

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

In message , Derek Geldard writes

Yeah - available from any RS counter

open tomorrow ... or today now

Reply to
geoff

Check the thermal insulation around the oven cavity hasn't got displaced, causing excess heat to leak out.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel