Oven Cleaning (avoidance)

As I type this my wife is making a mess of the oven I spent ages cleaning last week. She is roasting some pork and it is spitting all over the place. I suggested she put foil over it but she said 'not yet, do you want it nicely done?" So I backed off. Noticed some cooking oil and asked if she had added some to the roasting tin - she claimed to have used just a bit to stop it from being too dry. I started to wonder about the effect of vegetable oil and animal fat in one tin - could this cause spitting?

If I pluck up courage should I make any suggestions - or just enjoy the pork and then roll my sleeves up and clean the oven.

It is electric with a top and bottom element (Might have been better in the fan oven)

Reply to
John

One of the problems with roasted pork is that the do-gooders have convinced the market that fat is bad for us and hence pork for roasting is now typically stripped of most of it's fat, hence no doubt your good lady's thinking about adding oil.

Personally as the roasting officer in our house I wouldn't put any additional fat with pork as even the de-fatted pork produces perfectly enough to roast the potatoes and make the gravy.

I will leave it up to you to tell your wife how to cook and to buy pork. But I would recommend pork with adequate fat otherwise it does not crackle properly. I would also take the line that the kitchen is hers and therefore it is up to her to clean up any mess she makes - ie what the hell are you cleaning her oven for ? Are you a man or a mouse ?

Rob

Reply to
Rob G

Squeak. I like a clean cooker!

Reply to
John

If you pluck up enough courage to make ANY suggestion you will already have experienced terminal testosterone poisoning.

Just shut the f*ck up and do as you're told. It is MUCH the safest course of action.

I can only assume you haven't been married long or you have recently taken leave of your senses.

Reply to
me here

The joys of an aga..just brush the carbon away after time and 24x7 heat have reduced all olefins to pure carbon..

Spitting is bubbles of steam trapped inside superheated oil, becoming un-trapped.

Nothing to be din if you want crackling - which needs a good hat and preferably a fan. Foiling up merely traps te stam causing soggy crackling.

To be honest, clean the glass door and the lamp. and let the rest go. Life's too short. Or remove lining and put in tank of caustic, then pressure wash ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Roasting tin? Buy her a large glass roasting dish with glass lid. No more mess in the oven. Put roasting dish in the dishwasher to clean it.

Reply to
Matty F

Thanks - will look out for one.

Reply to
John

Unfortunately anything that is semi sealed will keep in steam and mean no crackling etc.

What is needed is something that will allow airflow but stop the escape of flying fat. Splatterguards? used to do something like that for covering frying pans with a sort of wire mesh.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Loose foil with good air gaps each end provides a reasonable result. Make sure it is secured well enough that it cannot blow somewhere unwanted is using a fan oven.

Reply to
Invisible Man

There are no joys to an aga. Appalling things.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I discovered the amazing power of ammonia not so long ago, available in our local pound shop. Pour some into a cup, remember Mr Britt's (the chemistry teacher) comparison with babies' nappies and leave in the oven overnight. The fumes of babies' nappies somehow penetrate the burnt-on grease and it all wipes off like a dream the next day. Being very mean indeed I would like to save the =A31 by trying this experiment with real babies' nappies, but it's hard to find a legitimate excuse to take one away from its rightful owner.

Probabaly a bit late now, but next time you redesign your kitchen I thoroughly reccommend putting in a proper hood over the cooker with a decently powerful extractor fan. It's made a lot of difference here, you can boil up as much as you like without even a mist of condensation appearing on the windows in winter.

Cheers!

Martin

Reply to
martin_pentreath

If it doesn't have a catalytic coating, something you could have done is to paint the inside of the oven with bicarb. I'm told it doesn't stop it getting splattered but makes it much easier to clean afterwards.

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

In message , martin snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes

I am in a position to be able to help you there, if you send a stamped addressed large jiffy bag I can send up to 6 a day for you. No need to return them if they don't work for you.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

You'd be welcome round here if you need some practice cleaning the cooker.

I have recently seen that bag thing you put the over racks in to get the grot off.

Reply to
mogga

What about those roasting bags?

Reply to
mogga

That's probably right, I mostly use the glass dish for roast chicken and beef. Do not let anyone turn on the grill with a glass lid under it. I now have four dishes with no lids!

A method I tried once for cleaning a very dirty greasy oven: Remove or cover the smoke alarms Set oven temperature to as high as you dare When oven is cool, just sweep out the carbon :)

Reply to
Matty F

That's what you're supposed to do with many ovens...

Reply to
Clive George

Yes, if they have stay-clean or catalytic liners. Actually, you wreck them if you try using oven cleaners on them.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

But usually the bottom is not self clean and this needs a good cleaning.

Reply to
John

In article , me here writes

Well i have to agree! I could never get my husband to clean up his mess when cooking (he did it rarely) let alone my mess. (He had other qualities that made up for that:) )

You could buy a self-cleaning oven if you felt that strongly about it.

Reply to
Janet Tweedy