Outsize Door Lock

I think I have made a bit of a screw up. I have just finished making a door for my place, and like most stuff I make it is bigger and stronger than anthing else.

I have made a castle door, oak plans, rosehead iron nails, specially forged hinges, that sort of thing. The problem is that the rebate on the frame is 50mm, so any standard lock, would have the key right up hard against the frame.

So I need a lock, preferably a euro lock, where the key is 100mm or more in from the side, any ideas ?

I can think of a number of ways round the problem, but I'd rather just buy a big jobbie lock.

Thanks Rick

Reply to
Rick

Try this lot

R obbo

An electromagnetic lock & keypad entry switch would make a witty architectural counterpoint to your studded castle door.... :o)

Reply to
Steve Walker

Fit the lock in the fixed bit, not the door.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

I quite fancy that. I wanted a keypad lock anyway, so when we are out on the farm, we can lock the door, and not loose the keys. I could set the keypad into the stone wall, and then just have old fashioned black ironmongery on the door. It would work well I think. A door handle would miss the "castle" look.

Thanks for the idea.

I have hunted the web some more, CISA seem to have something that will work, they are itallian, and the critical word to descibe the size has lost its meaning in the translation. Union/Chub/EPA have nothing suitable.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

euro lock, where

He'd be better looking directly at Assa/Chub's site:

to go and have a look at some of the banks in his locale.

Of course he could fit a meaty home made or fake finished "Back Lock" there is no reason that is can't be a five lever back lock. If he can't find one he can have a locksmith convert a 2 or 3 lever one. Then all he'd want is a fake castle lock. Like they all used to have in the days when ravens brought the keys to the heroes.

Much more reliable than a couple of sentries -who are always beguiled by evil chantresses in those situations. (Either that or fed sleeping draught's by some Machiavellian's lackey.)

Funny how no matter how often it happens, the heroine's father never seems to think of that. If I didn't know better I'd say it was unintelligent design. Bloody stupid sentries. No matter how cheap they are, they must cost an hell of a lot more than a lock and key and a couple of ravens.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

I have a CISA here, what size details do you need to know?

Reply to
DJC

Could you use the iron nails as touchpads for a touch-sensitive switch circuit?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Try screwfix 19768, 27496 or 68309 - sounds like great fun!

Reply to
Steve Walker