Outside wiring

Ok I have a problem, I need to run 15feet of electrical cable outside to a shead, now, we have had the Idea of running a high tension wire cable, point to point, and runninght the electrical cable down it, now here is my question, would it safer to cable tie it to the high tension wire, or wrap the wire around the electrical cable?, I myself would go for the second, as this would cause less movement when the tension is applied to the metal cable would it not?

Eddy

Reply to
Eddy

This is called a catenary wire. There are various regulations connected with its height above the ground and span that must be accommodated.

The electrical cable should be attached with cable ties so as to prevent any of the tension being taken up by the cable. Cable ties allow the cables a small amount of movement, preventing tension being transmitted. Basically, the electrical cable should be slack (but not enough to droop). You can either tie directly to the curve of the wire, or can run the cable horizontal, with variable height ties, like the roadway of a suspension bridge, although the former is usually more appropriate.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Wonderful that is the answer I was looking, have you any info on the regulations regarding height off the ground?, this will not be connected the the power board, it will just have a plug on the end, for use when needed.

Thanks

Eddy

Reply to
Eddy

Don't do that. I'd terminate at a switched fused connection unit, if you only want 13A.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Personally, I wouldn't do either! I'd use SWA cable and bury it under the ground rather than having overhead cables.

Reply to
Set Square

I would have thought that a 13A fused plug would be sufficient, everything running off it will have its own fused plug also, am I wrong?.

As for using armored cable and sticking that under the ground, at this point in time that is not an option, but hopefully in time I will be doing just that.

Eddy

Reply to
Eddy

The recommendation is 3.5 metres if not accessible to motor vehicle traffic, otherwise 5.8 m.

Reply to
Andy Wade

Well yes, but it is really a fixed installation, so shouldn't really run off a plug.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

But only if you have it done by a qualified electrician!

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Don't know of any specific height regulations. Obviously the height should be sufficient to ensure they do not obstruct the passage of persons and interference by persons or vehicles as no doubt the "regulations" will state someway or other. We have two overhead lines here - one is set at 15ft(c) where lorries periodically pass under. The other is set at 10ft(c) where it is only possible for persons to pass under.

Pete

Peter Stockdale

The company I work for (A supermarket which shall remain nameless) has recently installed new computer and till equipment. One store has two separate shops on either side of the road. The tills needed to be connected together on each of the sides of the road so the "engineers" if they can be called this ran a cable across the road from one shop to the other. However they didn't seem to take into account any lorries that may pass the road! Needless to say the cable wasn't there long.

Reply to
John Borman

A company I used to work for needed to lay some cables across a main road between two factories. They had someone dig a trench and lay two ducts, and then pour concrete over the top. Fortunately, they drew in a couple of fibre connections the same day, because two days later the weight of lorries had crushed the ducts and it was no longer possible to pull anything into (or out) of the ducts. Remarkably, one of the fibre links continued working until we left the premises. The council insisted on them redoing the road surface over the ducts which also partially sunk. ISTR the whole excercise cost some £50k (and it was intended to draw several more cables across the road in the ducts, but that was abandoned). It was a classic case of management screwup -- there was another part of the company which actually installed cable ducts for BT, and presumably would have known how to do it properly, if they had only been asked or even subcontracted to do the work.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew Gabriel wrote: Fortunately,

Na, fibre's strong stuff!