Outside tap dumb plumbing question

I want to move our outside tap, and thought it about time I got a new one (with a check valve). So, do I screw this

this
? (then connect the 15mm pipe to my existing internal supply)

And if so, how do you make sure that the tap makes a water-tight seal pointing in the direction that you want?

Reply to
Grumps

Yes.

Wrap PTFE round the threads. Keep turning until it starts to get tight. Turn some more.

Reply to
shaun

You stop tightening when it points in the right direction. You pack the threads with your favourite sealing compound. Boss white and hemp for the traditionalists. PTFE and Fernox LS-X for the modern types, or if drinking water is involved.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

It can still end up pointing upwards though. I fitted one of these kits for my parents and regardless of what I done the tap always ended up pointing upwards!!!

Reply to
Steven Campbell

Much neater is the first item on this page:

your tap - assemble the tap/wallplate, drill through wall, fix plate to wall, connect to supply.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

You coud potentially use one of these instead:

you could tighten tap up in threads before fixing so you could make sure it was upright.

Other than that, do what Christian says, as it works.

Reply to
Richard Conway

Arrrgghh, you beat me to it! (mine is cheaper though - so I win!)

Reply to
Richard Conway

That makes sense.

Thanks to all.

Reply to
Grumps

That's what fibre washer are for, I think. You fit the tap and then remove it and add a suitable (!) quantity of fibre washers so it sits vertical. It takes a few tries to get right.

Mungo

Reply to
mungoh