outside pipe

i have recently down a kitchen extenion , i have had the sink pumbed in,

outside where the waste pipe comes out of the wall we have a drain and a pipe which has to burried ' the man hole is about 8 feet away so there is no problem there ' can anyone tell me the best way to drill a hole into the side of the main drain without cracking it , and can you hire the drill ? jane thanks for advice on power shower

Reply to
diy jane

None too clear... you want a hole in the underground drainage pipe or the manhole side? A grit holesaw in a drill would make a nice round hole in the manhole bricks/concrete, or an sds would make a rougher hole you can cement round. Or if youre trying to tie it into the pipe alone I'd build an inspection chamber, but I dont think thats what you mean

NT

Reply to
meow2222

On 23 Sep 2006 10:56:45 -0700, a particular chimpanzee named "diy jane" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

I'm not clear from your description exactly what you're proposing, but your sink _should_ be drained into a trapped gully. This must be then connected via 100mm diameter pipe to a T or Y connection on the existing drain if the gully is roddable, or directly to an inspection chamber if not. If it discharges into an inspection chamber, then it should discharge at half-channel level.

There should be no 'drilling' holes into the side of drains. You may have to saw away sections of the drain to install T or Y branches, or break away part of the walls and benching of the inspection chamber.

Have a word with your Building Control Surveyor, who will need to inspect the drain before it's backfilled anyway.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

On 23 Sep 2006 10:56:45 -0700 someone who may be "diy jane" wrote this:-

The pipe from the sink should go into the drain, assuming that it is not just for rainwater but is connected to the sewers. The pipe should go under the grid but above the level of the water.

If you are lucky enough to have a back inlet gully then the pipe can be cemented into that.

What pipe is this? What is it for and where is it to be connected between?

The way to connect an underground drain pipe to an existing underground drain is to dig down and build an inspection chamber. This can be a traditional brick one, or there are plastic versions available from the usual suppliers. It sounds like you have an existing earthenware drain, in which case I would probably build a traditional inspection chamber and run the new drain into that.

Reply to
David Hansen

to somehow make a hole in the side so our new kitchen waste pipe flows into the drain , not too sure what a inspection chamber is thankyoujane

Reply to
diy jane

which at the moment is running across the garden , and the lid off the inspection chamber is open with the pipe going into it , with a blanket and bricks over it to stop smells coming out , i need to know how you go about installing the pipe into the inspection chamber , i hope this is clearer thankyou jane

Reply to
diy jane

If this is a plastic type of chamber, there is normally a base component with entries for multiple soil pipes. Take off the lid and have a look.

If this is the case, then the procedure would be to excavate out around the outside of the chamber and to remove the cut out by drilling and sawing. They are designed for reasonably easy removal.

The new underground drain from the kitchen waste gully will connect to that point.

If this is a brick or other masonry chamber, it would probably be advisable to employ a professional to do the work.

In either event, it is necessary to engage Building Control at your local authority in the exercise.

Reply to
Andy Hall

which at the moment is running across the garden , and the lid off the inspection chamber is open with the pipe going into it , with a blanket and bricks over it to stop smells coming out , i need to know how you go about installing the pipe into the inspection chamber , i hope this is clearer thankyou jane

What we need to know is whether this inspection chamber is small plastic or large brick/crete with iron cover. Either way, you do go in the side of the main body of it, but how depends on what youve got.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

On 24 Sep 2006 05:46:51 -0700 someone who may be "diy jane" wrote this:-

which at the moment is running

pipe going into it , with a

go about installing the

A book on drains from the library would be a good starting point for your researches. This will have drawings/photographs of what is involved and how such things are built.

You will probably need to test any new underground connection to a drain after the work is finished. Building control staff are generally a very good source of advice on drains.

Reply to
David Hansen

which at the moment is running

pipe going into it , with a

go about installing the

Reply to
diy jane

which at the moment is running across the garden , and the lid off the inspection chamber is open with the pipe going into it , with a blanket and bricks over it to stop smells coming out , i need to know how you go about installing the pipe into the inspection chamber , i hope this is clearer thankyou jane

chamber coming from the next door neighbour , and one chamber going to the main road drain , so could i put my new pipe work in the over side ? jane

Reply to
diy jane

On 24 Sep 2006 14:10:14 -0700 someone who may be "diy jane" wrote this:-

One pipe hopefully. Presumably your drains join to the outlet pipe nearer the road.

If you connect there then it sounds like you are making it a common drain between this chamber and where your drains currently join. You will need to agree this with your neighbour.

I would be inclined to do this work in the traditional way to match the existing drains, with the bottom of the new drain at the middle of the existing drain and modifying the benching in the chamber.

Reply to
David Hansen

Reply to
diy jane