Outside lights

It still might be, but realistically your best bet is try a new bulb. Other lighting types cost more to run per given light output. Sodium 'bulbs' are a bargain with very long lives and the ultimate run cost saving. More mode rn lighting technologies don't touch sodium's energy efficiency. Ice cold white with a slight violet halo = mercury Pure yellow = low pressure sodium orangey/pink = high pressure sodium Decent quality white = HID

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

As a good rule of thumb when the ballast fails then the MCB trips when you try to turn the lights on.

Reply to
ARW

I think that is just another example of most putting almost no thought into anything at all and a tiny subset of people think about what they do.

Reply to
Blanco

No, the answer is 42!

I will swap a f***ed 70W SON with a 50W LED if it is a ballast problem and the customer is happy with that.

If it is just the lamp then I will just swap the lamp. About £8 for a new one.

Just before Christmas I was asked to light up a tree in a garden. I fitted a

100W LED flood light and when I asked the customer what he though he said "I have turned it off - there is a pigeon that sleeps in that tree and I do not want to upset it"
Reply to
ARW

Or electicians showing their customer how far the light can reach.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

The obvious way to avoid that risk is to swap the bulbs between one of the ones that does work reliably and the one(s) that doesn't and see if the fault goes with the bulb or not.

Reply to
Hilo Black

Probably, the other possible problem will be if the fittings have leaked and water has got in. Usually these lights are very robust and last decades. Because they are so efficient and typically take only

70W they tend to last much longer (fitting not just bulb) than those consuming 500-1000W. What they don't like is frequent switching on and off or short run times, whenever used they should be left on for 30 - 60min at least.
Reply to
Peter Parry