Outside light wiring

Just a couple of basic questions ;)

I need to install a normal "PIR" style lamp, but due to the location I can't do the usual "wire through the wall into the back of the fitting".

Since the cable/flex will be exposed across a wall, is it sensible to use HiTuf? Suppose I could run it in conduit if *really* necessary :)

How do I get around the problem of most of these fittings needing the cable run in from behind - what is acceptable to use as a spacer? Note that the obvious solution of finding one that allows bottom entry is not available, SWMBO has spoken on the fitting :(

Lee

Reply to
Lee

HiTuf should do fine...

I find that you can usualy do without a spacer, especially on a brick wall - just run the wire in the mortar gap. On render etc, just chase the last couple of inches so that the wire can pass under the base of the fitting and emerge in the right place. Obviously try not to screw through it when fitting the light to the wall!

Finding a SWMBO that allows bottom entry can be tricky.... ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

will ship cut lengths of HiTuf - 1.40/m for

1.5mmsq. Doubtless there's P&P for small orders, but ISTR TLC are quite reasonable on delivery charges. They've quite a few "real world" counters too ;-) Many electrical counters will have HiTuf in stock, though Real Man Sparkies grew up with SWA and tend to prefer it for its rugged good looks ;-)
Reply to
Stefek Zaba

Thanks, if the cable isn't too thick then this is probably what I'll do.

Lol :)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

PMFJI....

Where's a good place to get HiTuf in short lengths? Last time I looked, I couldn't find any...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Wicks used to sell it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 20:59:47 +0000, Stefek Zaba strung together this:

Grrrrrrrrrr......

Reply to
Lurch