Outside Light Height

Hi all

More kitcheny stuff here!

Our kitchen is a single storey extension, the "free end" of which has a side access along it. Part way down this access is a side gate with fence panels perpendicular to the end wall IYSWIM. I was considering putting a light on the kitchen end wall to illuminate the access path. I have already cabled for lights back and front, so don't want to go too daft. The thing is, if I put the light at "normal" height (easily reachable) then the gate/fence will block a lot of the light to the unlit side.

So is there a restriction on the height of outside lights or can I fit the side one high enough to cast some light beyond the fence/gate?

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

There's no height restriction.

As with any outside lighting: Choose fittings which avoid light being directed above horizontal; this increases in importance the higher the light output. If the light spills off your property, check with your neighbour that it isn't a nuisance for them, and check that it doesn't cause glare for road users. Use of anything over 60W [equivalent] outdoors is probably misguided unless the installation is designed by someone with a reasonable knowledge of lighting design.

Generally, using a fitting mounted as high as possible which directs light downwards with a spread appropriate to the area to be lit is the best option. If you want to use low level lighting (generally more decorative), then several lower brightness are preferred over a single higher brightness one.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

AIUI there is a height restriction when it becomes considered a risk to passing aircraft. :)

If you mount the light hgh up, you'll get much more even light spread, but consider a few points for best result

- make it reasonably easy to change the bulb, or it'll get left dead

- if you use traditional fittings, any glass that doest direct light downward can have ali foil glued to it, otherwise you lose much of the light.

NT

Reply to
NT

AIUI there is a height restriction when it becomes considered a risk to passing aircraft. :)

If you mount the light hgh up, you'll get much more even light spread, but consider a few points for best result

- make it reasonably easy to change the bulb, or it'll get left dead

- if you use traditional fittings, any glass that doest direct light downward can have ali foil glued to it, otherwise you lose much of the light.

NT

And thereby hangs the problem!

For some inexplicable reason almost every lantern that you can buy nowadays has the lampholder at the bottom, so that everything under the lantern is rendered into inky blackness. You are basically paying to light the street instead of your door or passageway. We have one v old lantern with the lampholder at the top, so that the light shines out of the bottom, otherwise modifications are required...

Otherwise, what I have had to do is buy a lantern designed for porches that hangs by a chain, and cut the bottom off to let the light out. I notice that Screwfix now do do a wall lantern with the lampholder at the top, but they have still ruined it by putting a decorative closure over the bottom! But it is v cheap...

it is made of the same material as the ones I've adapted, it is easy to cut the bottom off, and both let the light out and make it easy to change the lamp. If you are careful you can also cut a piece of clear plastic to sit inside the bottom to keep the flies and spiders out. You will find a 7 or 9 watt cfl to be quite sufficient once the light can get out!

Spamlet

Use something like this

has a 20mm screwed entry at the top and make your own bracketry out of conduit.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Another option is to take the standard offerings and paint the itnerior white. Then add the ali to redirect the direct light output that goes upward.

Actually... wouldnt spaced out 1w LEDs nearerer the ground be more appropriate nowadays?

NT

Reply to
NT