Outside drain problem... Who is responsible?

Using the word 'drain' implies that you have a U-bend. U-bends are places where suspended solids can settle out and accumulate, to eventually cause a blockage.

Before pouring any nasty chemicals down there it might be useful to stick your arm down the drain and see if you can feel for what is in the U-bend.

Reply to
Tony Williams

guv wrote :-

I am in the 'lucky' position of being the lowest property on a shared drain - so when it blocks its me that gets the flooded garden :-( Normal responce is DIY or get the yellow pages out but a builder once told me to phone the council (not a council house btw) - brilliant responce, £35 ish fixed fee with a 1 week guarantee, as it usually blocks when i'm on 12 hour nights this is an excelent solution It never blocks on my property but try telling someone that your garden is flooded and its their problem :-(

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

There is no U bend in the drain, but there is a trap.

Got home this evening, armed with a set of drain rods.....

The drain itself was almost clear (not been used for 24 hours), but still stuff in the bottom.

I attempted to rod the clearance from the manhole cover end. (There is no room at the small drain end.) Unfortunately I just reached a solid blockage and the no matter how I twisted and prodded with the rods, nothing gave way.

So I rubber gloved up to probe the drain hole. Only thing - I forgot that I had poured sulphuric acid down the hole - which hadnt completely escaped! Yes - the gloves did start to turn a funny colour

- so I removed and flushed the drain with water to dilute.

I am now waiting for that to clear a bit, before having another probe.

However, I could feel where the blockage was. I did manage to remove a large stone, but nothing else. On the floor of the tube, is what appears to be concrete fixed firmly. Since I have never lifted this cover, I can only assume this was deposited when the washing machine got plumbed in (and not removed) or more likely it could be tile adhesive that has collected when I tiled the downstairs loo and probably foolishly washed down the plughole. (Obviously not large amounts - but enough I guess! Its certainly nothing I had considered until a few moments ago!)

Anyway, I intend on probing again shortly - this time armed with something to attempt to bash the offending "lump". Hopefully I will be successful, but I know its going to be difficult because of the restricted access.

I'll report back my success/failure shortly! ;-)

Reply to
guv