Outside doorbell

I'm trying to find a doorbell which would be suitable to mount on the outside wall in my back garden so that visitors don't get ignored because we can't hear them ringing. I know there are cordless bells available, but (call me old-fashioned) I prefer the idea of a proper bell, permanently hardwired to the existing bellpush and transformer rather than some plastic bleepy thing that I have to remember to take out into the garden with me each time. I can mount the bell in a reasonably sheltered location under the eaves, but I think an ordinary indoor underdome bell would probably sieze up after a couple of years of being out in the British winter (such as

).

So does anyone know where I can get an exterior grade doorbell?

Many thanks,

Martin

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

Oh, your neighbours are just going to love you! ;-)

Rick

Reply to
Richard Sterry

In article , Richard Sterry writes

Put the boor bell just inside the back door.

Reply to
zaax

"Martin Pentreath" wrote | I can mount the bell in a reasonably sheltered location | under the eaves, but I think an ordinary indoor underdome | bell would probably sieze up after a couple of years | of being out in the British winter (such as |

). | So does anyone know where I can get an exterior grade doorbell?

The main problem is the vibrator contact. If you use an AC only bell off a transformer you can use a bell without a vibrator.

This looks like an 8-12V AC only bell

an electrical wholesaler should be able to order you an
Mini Horn

Owain

Reply to
Owain

No point. The range of these things is often so poor it won't beep anyway in the back garden.

Reply to
G&M

No, and I'm not being flippant but when I've needed to be contacted when in the garden I left a note saying, "Please shout loudly".

It always worked. So much so that people do it without being invited now ...

Mary.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Two off-the-wall ideas...

1) A burglar alarm sounder, in box. Turn it off at night or when not in garden! 2) A real bell (with clapper), operated by solenoid and cord (inside house or something).
Reply to
Bob Eager

Put it inside a suitable weatherproof box. This will also cut down the noise somewhat. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I don't want to disturb the neighbours! I plan to include a switch so that the the outside bell can be turned off when not in use. (And anyway, I'm hardly Mr Popular so the thing won't exactly be ringing off its mountings).

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

I like this idea. So the next question is where do I get a waterproof box? ;-) Maybe one of these:

does anyone have a better idea.

Or maybe I could use one of these without a waterproof box:

least the buzzer looks fairly watertight.

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

A ships bell, brass with a clapper worked by a hanging cord, will probably outlast you

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Be an interesting set of pulleys to have that in the back garden...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No need with a decent ships' bell. The sound carries far enough to annoy neighbours in a wide area.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar