Outlook 97 deleteing wrong addresses

You lot seem to be fairly knowledgeable in such matters....

If I click New, type in a wrong email address maybe missing a single letter, type up the email and send it - then despite it being a wrong address as you would expect it tries to send it and it bounces.

I then type another email up, this time with the correct address and send it again - with me so far? Yes, good!

If I then wanted to send yet another email to the same recipient and start typing the email address in, the auto-complete will offer both the correct address and the wrongly typed in address.

Is there some way to delete the offered wrong address so that only the valid one is offered please?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It happens that Harry Bloomfield formulated :

Sorted.....

I have been trying to work out how for months, made a concerted effort yesterday evening to find a way, but failed. Googling with the extra word 'autocomplete' found the answer, whereas I had been searching on editing contacts, thinking the addresses were stored as contacts.

All you do is start typing the email address enough for it to bring up the autocomplete list then us the down arrow to high light the wrong address and then press Del - simples.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

In message , Harry Bloomfield writes

A proper news reader only stores addresses on command:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

It is not a newsreader!

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I guess it works in the same way as in later versions, where it keeps a cache of previous addresses for use by the auto-complete function.

When it offers you the right and wrong one, use the up or down arrow to highlight the wrong one, and then press Delete. This will (apparently) delete it from the cache so that it won't offer it in future.

I had a similar - but slightly different - issue with Outlook 2007. I have a circulation list to which I sometimes send 'round robin' emails. I recently changed this by deleting one person and adding another. However, when I used the list to send my next round robin email, it used the OLD list (from the bowels of its cache somewhere) rather than the new one - and thus sent it to someone who shouldn't have received it but not to someone who should. I nearly tore all my remaining hair out trying to sort that one!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Sorry, I was a decade out - I meant Outlook 2007!

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I can't say for '97 but Outlook 2003 and later versions store the address autocomplete data in an NK2 file, which you can edit using this free utility:

Reentrant

Looks interesting - but I get an error message saying "Connection to server was reset" or somesuch when I click on the link. Can you please check that the link is correct?

Reply to
Roger Mills

The web page works for me. The direct link for the download is

Reentrant

ok in Chrome! [I can get as far as nirsoft.net in Firefox, but not any further]

Anyway, I've now installed NK2Edit and had a quick look at the nk2 file. It's got stuff in from yonks ago - including lots of out of date addresses. I'm beginning to think that Autocomplete would be better turned off!

Reply to
Roger Mills