Outdoor taps

Got a call the other night from my mum, she couldn't turn the hosepipe tap off.

Although the tap is a little stiff and is going to be replaced anyway this weekend, I think maybe an easier to use tap might be useful too so does anyone know of an easily available outdoor tap with a larger than usual handle (is that the right term?) or a plastic coated one or have any other suggestions?

I've seen

I assume the lever will be parallel to the wall when the tap is off but it doesn't seem to say, I can't find a list of stockists either...

Reply to
Clint Sharp

Clint Sharp coughed up some electrons that declared:

How about a quarter turn lever valve (Ballofix with a plastic covered lever)?

They'd be easy to operate, but you would got from 0-max very quickly, so might be worth adding another Ballofix type valve, screwdriver operated, before it to set the maximum flow, if required.

Cheers

tim

Reply to
Tim S

In message , Clint Sharp writes

Outside taps are crap aren't they?

Sort of accidentally, I ended up with something similar in my old house.

I used a leaver operated ball valve in a straight length of pipe, this sort of thing:

with a elbow fitting with a suitable thread on (3/4 " BSP?).

worked well.

Should have a non-return valve as well though for compliance with water regs IIRC?

Reply to
chris French

Which could be fitted indoors and could also be used to isolate the water during Winter months

-------------- Any posting using my name and/or e-mail address but other than by newsindividual.net is not being posted by me and should be disregarded . Remove NOSPAM to reply by e-mail

Reply to
Stuart B

it

be disregarded .

Oe one of those where the handle and the 'bib' is outside but the mechanism is somewhere from 8 to 12 inches inside the house, depending on model, to prevent winter freezing????? Often used here in eastern Canada. Quarter turn 'ball-c*ck' valves are also economical (often less than $5 Canadian, retail) and excellent.

Reply to
stan

Yes, lever at 90 degrees to axis of flow to turn off, in line with axis for on. I've seen them online somewhere - possibly Screwfix or Toolstation. There's also another similar make of ball-valve type outside tap I've seen (and have a few of in my stock) but I got those in a bricks-and-mortar shop (one made of b&m ...)

Or as someone pointed out a common-or-garden lever ball valve with a fitting on the end to divert the flow down, e.g. a right angled 1/2" female BSP by either 3/4" male (if you can get one) or by 1/2" male with a

1/2" x 3/4" ring on it (garden hose fittings generally expect to go onto 3/4" BSP). BES (online) is good for parts if you don't have a proper plumbers' merchants near you.

I'd use thread-sealing cord rather than PTFE tape to lock the fittings together.

And you should have a double check valve in there. Ideally you fit this in the supply indoors along with an isolating valve so you can shut off the supply and open the outside tap to drain it in winter. But you need to remember to do so or if the pipe freezes up all the way back to the check valve it can jam it up!

Reply to
YAPH

Dismantle the tap and grease the thread. Mine is 25 years old and is easy to turn. I have stripped it a couple of times in its life to fit a new washer and to grease it.

Reply to
John

descale it - as John implies you probably dont need a new tap.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

In message , John writes

I know, cleaning and servicing the tap is easy and would almost definitely fix the problem but there's the psychological factor now as well. The old tap won't be discarded, it will be re-used but not at it's current location, at least not for a few years.

Reply to
Clint Sharp