Outdoor Pizza Oven

Has anyone on the group made an outdoor pizza oven. I quite fancy building one of these myself, but all the pre-cast ones I can find seem expensive (min =A3400).

have reasonable brick laying skils, so I figured if I could get hold of firebricks easily enough it would be relatively easy to make.

Reply to
Tim Decker

plain bricks will do if youre only burning wood

NT

Reply to
NT

I posteed here a few months back about just this - Not done it yet as there is some scaffolding in the way that I was hoping to have removed before now, however, my plans revolve round making it entirly out of clay+sand rather than brick - perhaps with a brick archway. I may be able to get the clay/sand for free, but there is a commercial plance near Exeter who can get me a "Grogged Terracotta" mix they reckon is suitable.

There are plans & wikis out there of people who've done this - the general one seems to be making it in 3 layers - inner layer built over a wicker "basket" or sand dune covered with damp newspaper, middle layer which has a high %age of woodshavings or vermiculte mixed in for insulation, then a finishing layer...

If you're up to it, then you make the clay/sand stuff by hand - or by foot in wellies on a tarp, but I'm lazy and will buy it ready mixed...

And if it collapses after a few years, I'll build another... Or maybe something else trendy will have come along by then ;-)

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Gordon Henderson coughed up some electrons that declared:

Bring a spade and trailer to my place - you can have all the clay you like :)

Reply to
Tim S

Thank you! But you know what... I've tried "puddling" as I undestand it's called - jumping in clay in wellies to mix in sand and much as I feel I want the "back to caveman" experience, I feel spending about 50 quid to have 150Kg delivered is worth it...

(I'm told that there's a local quarry throws tonness of some natural 80% silica content clay at the brick industry which I can get for asking for it though)

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson