Outdoor Hot Tub Power supply.

Hi all. While our floors are up prior to UFH, I thought it well to put power to a suitable point as my good lady keeps talking about a hot tub type thing.

Power seems to be between 13 amp up to about 20 Amp for the big boys. Our Electrician suggested 6mm cable from consumer unit (split load with RCD on power rings) to destination, but how should it be terminated on the outside wall?

Do I need a weather proof "Isolation" switch (one of those big yell0w/red things) or a weather proof spur like ...

a weather proof (IP56) terminal box
thought..... we recently decided it might go further into the garden, so ideally, a junction box that would accommodate connection from 6mm to armored cable to final destination.

Hope that makes sense to someone.

TIA

Reply to
Pet

Assuming that you are using gas or oil to run your UFH, have you considered piping that outside? Obviously, this will need run deep enough so that it can't freeze, but it'll be a lot cheaper than usign electrictg.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Are you on a PME supply?

If so you may want your tub on a seperate earth rod.....

Reply to
James Salisbury
20 Amps might not be enough. Our hot-tub (I used to be Operations Manager of one of the UK manufacturers) used to pull 30 Amps! (it had a 9kw heater (maybe 12?), 2 x 2hp pumps etc etc)

It's now been relocated and runs off a heat exchanger direct from the boiler.

Just thought I add my little bit!

Cheers,

Matt

Reply to
Matthew

Hmm. There's an idea. but, That would be a DIY project and we're thinking of one of them fancy bubbly, whirly kinda things that them posh folks have.

I am presuming, from a chum that has one, heating water from cold would indeed be a high energy consumption, but assuming it is in a well insulated enclosure with a well fitting and insulatied lid, maintaining hot water temp would be a relatively frugal task, only needing extra oomph once one starts firing vast quantities of cold air through it which would only be for perhaps an hour or so once in a while.

(once the novelty wore off)

Reply to
Pet

It's only a means of heating water.

You'r looking at replacing the heater with a heat exchanger. There would be no visible differences.

True. But running costs add up.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Hi,

If you're going to the expense of putting a hot tub in it might be worth considering a vaccum tube solar collector. This could also provide DHW in the summer and some in the winter too.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C