Outdoor Electrical Supply

Probably been asked before, but I understand the concept, I just need a cheap supplier!

Currently in our utility room there is a handily placed (no RCD) socket for outdoor use, I'm using this for the lawnmower for example. The previous house owner has run a twin+earth wire down to the pond, presumably this was being used for a pump/fountain (I'll never know seeing as they thoughtfully just snipped the outdoor end clean off). I'd like to set this back up - only a little bit more permanently. What I'd like to do is make the existing socket RCD protected, and also make the outdoor a spur off it with an RCD socket outside. Unfortunately this is expensive. The indoor RCD socket is only about 20 quid, but the outdoor (single or double) I've seen priced anywhere from 40 to 80 quid. That's more than the pump it's going to run!

Anybody recommend somewhere that might be cheaper - or find a cheaper way round it that I haven't thought about?

Thanks

Reply to
mike. buckley

RCD Spur £26 Single socket for indoors £3 IP56 1 Gang Socket £16

Reply to
Nick Brooks

On Mon, 24 May 2004 14:13:37 +0100, "mike. buckley" strung together this:

Fit an RCD spur inside for the pond supply and use a normal, non RCD protected, waterproof socket.

For the socket I would recommend the MK Masterseal range.

Reply to
Lurch

In message , Lurch writes

TLC Direct seem to be the way to go. I also found some cheaper RCD outdoor sockets, but they were only rated at IP54, which looks a bit pants.

Thanks folks.

Reply to
mike. buckley

I'd use a standard outdoor socket, such as screwfix item 10562. IP66 rated so needs no further protection. Run this off an RCD spur inside the house that can also run an internal RCD socket if needed.

?ts=11438&id=14770That's cheaper (this time) than the TLC items. Although I would recommend both Screwfix and TLC generally, screwfix do some very good budget IP rated electricals. The above I have and am impressed by build quality given the price. I also have their Volex VGCKIT IP rated consumer unit which looks excellent at any price, let alone the 25 quid they charge.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

That is rain proof, so you only need to worry if you plan to hose the socket down or expect deep floods.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

On Mon, 24 May 2004 17:45:50 +0100, "nightjar" strung together this:

With the flap closed no doubt. With the cheap sockets if you open the flap it is nore waterproof than a normal internal socket. That's why I recommended the MK Masterseal range, they're IP rating is the same when a plug is inserted as the lid seals the plug and socket and the flex inside.

Reply to
Lurch

I find that they won't close over the strain relief on most moulded-on plugs, so that feature is of little value. However, as none of the equipment I use outside is IP54 rated, I don't really want to use it when it is raining anyway.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

On Tue, 25 May 2004 23:13:24 +0100, "nightjar" strung together this:

True, but if it is a feature that is required then cutting off the moulded plug and putting on a normal replacement one isn't really a hassle.

Fairynuff, but I think in the OPs case a pump was going to be plugged in.

Reply to
Lurch

True, but the cheap Clipsal one will maintain rating if you use their matching plug. And it will maintain IP66, rather than IP56, not that it makes any difference as it is the second number that is important for this application.

As very little equipment will be used in the rain, it is no hardship to replace the plug of the odd item with a matching IP rated industrial one, but most people won't need to. I, for one, am perfectly happy waiting for the rain to stop before mowing the lawn.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

On Wed, 26 May 2004 09:10:01 +0100, "Christian McArdle" strung together this:

Yes, but as I said in another post, the OP is wanting to plug a pump in so I can't see that he'll be rushing outside every time iit rains to bring it in!

Reply to
Lurch

Having seen both, I'd say the Masterseal is better generally because of the sealing normal plugs thing (although you pay mightily for the privilege). However, I'd say that whilst using the dedicated IP66 plug, the Clipsal one would seal better for long term use. It has proper rubber sealing rings, rather than the compromise that would be required to seal a cable exit of undetermined diameter.

Basically, the Masterseal is more convenient, but the Clipsal has better weatherproofing. I may be wrong, though, it is purely through examination of the parts that I say this, not through any proper scientific comparison.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

On Wed, 26 May 2004 13:51:29 +0100, "Christian McArdle" strung together this:

Right then, we'll agree to disagree, possibly. (Although I'm not 100% sure that we do!) I fit MK Masterseal because of the quality and the sealing that it has for a wide range of universal applications. I don't fit the Clipsal because that would mean using a matching pair of plug and socket, this loses the flexibility and universalness of the MK. Although there is nothing wrong with what you say that is why I don't fit them. Think that's cleared it up!

Reply to
Lurch

I fit the MK Masterseal as well because it allows a more flexible range of appliances to be plugged in. For dedicated systems a matching plug and socket are OK but this does limit the use of the external wiring system to that one dedicated appliance doesn't it ?

Reply to
BigWallop

It's not that bad. In this case, the only the pump would need the dedicated plug as it is used in bad weather. The socket can still be borrowed for other equipment in a non-IP rated fashion. The lawnmower and strimmer can still use the socket. The socket is a standard 3 pin square type, not a 16A industrial or anything.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle