Our own Dave Plowman vs Eddie Mayer

I dunno. We pays our licence fee, we puts up with manky pseudo-diy on the goggle box, we keeps faith with the Beeb even when it rolls over all wimpy in the prelude to Hutton. But when our own resident audio engineer puts a perfectly *reasonable* question to PM - viz., "just *which* make of shielded omni mic is it which brings us Big Ben", listing a number of plausible candidates including a venerable Audio Technica model, does Eddie Mayer (or however he wants his name spelt) come up with the goods? No, he does not. He turns down this burning question with a one word answer (Dave had asked, "you have no idea how much speculation... can you please find out...", and the smartarse one-word reply was, "No.").
I hereby curse the Mayer to suffer three years of pipe bursts (that's the milder sanction: the initial impulse to subject him to 24 hours in the company of our resident shoulder-chipped grotty-uni-HVAC-graduate struck me on a moment's reflection as far too Cruel and Unusual ;-)
Stefek

Eaeeh ? Have I missed something ? as usual.....(coat..... getting......)
--
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

too long.
mike r

It did go through that period but have you tried it recently?
Mary

182904.news.uni-berlin.de:

dumbness
political correctness
the ever more incomprehensible and invasive Scotch
snideness and sneers
overproduced and repetitive adverts (sorry, trails)
yet more identical news bulletins containing speculation and interpretation but no facts
knee-jerk anti American and Israel -ism
etc etc
Adn Especially Libby wossnames "lively conversations with interesting luvvies" on Wednesday mornings - surely the ASA or Trades Descriptions should prosecute
mike r

I don't think it's dumb.

No more than anywhere else.

Invasive yes, incomprehensible no.

You're talking about John Humphrys I guess, he's a pain.

I agree 100%

You get that on all stations I should think.

Haven't noticed that.

Libby Purves. I remember her when she was seventeen and wrote for Punch.
But yes, her prog's on when I do noisy tasks. Not only luvvy but she always has some boating guest. When it was Des Pawson, the fascinating knot chap, he had about two minutes right at the end.
I suspect you listen to more than you claim if you've formed an opinion on all those matters. But in any case, they're only a very small part of the output and there are some excellent programmes.
Mary
On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 20:26:58 GMT, "ARWadsworth"

Is there a url for this exchange?
Phil

I heard it.
The question was as boring as the answer.
Mary

By the way, it's Mair, Eddie Mair.
Mary

Luckily, I can't be held responsible for their choice of material.
--
*Modulation in all things *

No please - I'm one of Eddie Mair's biggest fans. He's brought a breeze of fresh air to PM with his dry wit. My only regret is the loss of him on 'Broadcasting House'.
--
*I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore I am perfect*

moving from two presenters to a single one: the single presenting voice leads inevitably to a degree of over-familiarity with that presenter's tone and quirks. Much more interesting to get the swap of voices and approaches, and allows for a bit of interaction between the presenters.
Still, the savings over a year doubtless pay for a few more days' management consultancy, to determine the terms of reference for appointments to the committee which will determine the composition of the task force which will outline the parameters under which the cross-cutting work group will examine the possibilities of reducing the variety of cold drinks made available to interview guests...
Stefek

And then after all that it comes down to one guy who signs the delivery sheet and tells the driver not to bring any more orange because they've got enough just now. :-))
--
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Trouble with that is that it becomes full of in-jokes, merry quips which are irritating for the listener.

That's a fair point. I'll try to remember that when I shout at the set.
Mary