Ouch- eletrocution

So, what speed is that when the distance to the side is about..errm 3 feet to the woods?

6mph or so, including thinking time?

I have certainly seen the odd cyclist at 12mph fall off on account of deer.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Can't do anything about sudden 'apparitions'. I was once going slowly on a small motorbike and a ped ran out and hit me in the side - my speed, sideways, was 0!

Reply to
PeterC

This one not so lucky...

are also a number of pictures recorded by the Google streetview car which recorded its hit on a dear (font view of it hopping in front, rear view of it laying in the road, and distant view of it on the verge). Google have taken the pictures down, but lots of people saved them before hand.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Precisely. In the case of the ped, the speed should be low enough the stupid bastard doesn't die, and in the case of deer, slow enough that YOU don't die. 50mph seems to be 'no car, but I wasn't scratched' on most small cars..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

dash...

Reply to
Adrian

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home" saying something like:

Right; so in your perfect driving world he'd have stopped dead and waited until the horse decided what it wanted to do. Uhuh.

Nice one.

Back in the real world, I slow down for walking pet food and give them a wide berth where I can, but there have been many occasions where, if the nag was skittish, it could have bolted for me.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher saying something like:

I've seen plenty fall of on account of beer.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Ouch.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

As I said, 50mph the cars a wreck but you aren't, at 70mph,( is that deer blood or human blood, or both)..could easily decapitate you.

No airbag either..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Nah, very little deer actually got into the car - the driver would have been physically almost completely uninjured. Mentally, perhaps they got off a little less lightly.

Reply to
Adrian

A deer hitting you at 50MPH kills you - that was part of one of the campaigns in one area of driver deaths, where you couldn't get above 50 anyway just because of the road alone.

They're designed with little spindly snap-off legs to hold the body weight at windscreen smashing height, and the only way you'd survive that is if you don't hit square on with the body in front of you. (The one above looks like just the head went through the windscreen.)

One I read about on the road I used to use was killed by a crushed chest -- ribs all smashed into all the chest organs. It's also common to miss the deer, but smash into a tree.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In article , Andrew Gabriel scribeth thus

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Grimly Curmudgeon scribeth thus

U vandal or was this a ligit experiment;)..

Reply to
tony sayer

Where? modern cars are designed to throw things they hit straight up over the bonnet curve.

Er, no, they are not. They are actually in this country not much bigger than a (pretty) large dog. Now horses..there the body weight IS in line with the screen.

Also the moose, but we don't have them here.

and the only way

Its a moose anyway allegedly. Much bigger animal. similar to reindeer. Which is why Volvos...;-)

I'd pick the deer probably. Try for a glancing blow. A bit softer than a tree.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How do you know? Decceleration wouldn't necessarily have been high and the airbag probably wouldn't have activated.

Clearly he would have been better off in a RHD car. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Probably too fast for someone on a bike. You would probably escape without injury in a car.

Reply to
dennis

Moose: this one didn't get all the way through..

but this is what I'd be more worried about:

Reply to
PCPaul

Not all of it.

Reply to
PCPaul

When in the Middle East, the warning was about the extreme danger of camels. Lots and lots of nasty accidents. The animal's body would fall down onto the car, even many a 4x4.

Reply to
Rod

In article , PCPaul scribeth thus

And did the driver get away with it?.