OTTiscali

it a Chinese company?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Weatherlawyer used his keyboard to write :

Solution - Use an alternative (none Tiscali) DNS source.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Oh they are at it again. This explains the many problems that the incompetent engineering staff have caused for Tiscali customers. They would be dismissed if they worked for any other company, especially considering their past c*ck-up record over the past 12months. Forum staff are now removing posts from anyone having a real go as they can't lie to those working in IT. I'm going to Virgin soon.

Reply to
Andrew

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 12:23:16 -0700, Weatherlawyer mused:

I think Orange do that as well, didn't look for a way to opt out, just switched to using a different DNS server.

Reply to
Lurch

These guys can help, if you are able to set your DNS servers:

be warned they also interfere with what you type, but you can turn it off, and they are up-front about it.

My ISP provides DNS services, but I don't use them. It's not a good idea to keep all your IT eggs with one basket.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Thanks very much for that information. I have been searching my Windows registry for references to

because I assumed a virus had hi-jacked the default search page. it didn't even occur to me that it was a DNS issue, but I suppose it would have twigged when I connected my laptop to a different ISP.

I have used the web response page to ask them to remove it.

Reply to
Graham.

Better still, ask for your MAC and vote with your wallet...

Reply to
:Jerry:

Also, has anyone else had problems with Tiscali blocking port

119 in the evenings?
Reply to
Graham.

Oh, yes.

I get "free" broadband through my employers which ends up after about three levels of sub-contracting with Tiscali.

They traffic shape NNTP after about 3pm weekdays and 11am weekends and Bank Holidays.

I have been trying to have this restriction removed for about 3 months now, and been completely unable to find anyone who both knows what I am talking about and is prepared to do anything, other than fob me off.

I am *seriously* pissed off about it. Tiscali are utterly, utterly, useless.

Reply to
Huge

What is anyone with some IT background doing with Tiscali in the first place?

I was wondering that as I read the article. Seems to me they were asking for it. Or are they trolls and flamers?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Could you get a VPN connection to somewhere outside their network and tunnel the NNTP connection through it?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yep. If I could be arsed.

Reply to
Huge

Well.... today's news is that it looks as though they are buying Pipex.....

imagine that it really means the consumer bits.

Reply to
Andy Hall

... it'll be a wopping great undertaking now......

Reply to
Andy Hall

No it means that the company that owns both has finished stripping off the good bits and is handing over the dregs to the dregs.

Pipex went down the tubes to Tiscali's people a long time ago.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

You're too kind. Far too kind.

Their legal dept has more serious consequences when they screw up, and they seem to love doing so.

NT

Reply to
meow2222