OTish switching energy supplier - timing....

My fixed deal ends in 6 weeks. It has an early exit fee.

How do I arrange for my chosen new supplier to take over as close to the end date of the old deal without invoking the old deal's exit fee?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

In message , Jim K writes

Easy - you just tell the new supplier that your current contract runs out on that date and they will take over from then

I have the same thing going on ATM with my electricity at work - the new provider will take over in june, they sort it all out (in theory ...)

Reply to
geoff

In article , Jim K writes

The current supplier should have spelled it out to you in an end of fixed rate notice.

The trick is to notify them of your intent to change supplier just before the fixed rate ends then you have 20 working days (hmmn, or is it

10) to get your new supplier to contact the old one and the switch takes place as normal.

Provided you notify the old supplier before the end of the deal and meet the above terms then they have to hold the price at your old rate until the switch takes place, quite handy if you're were on a sweet rate.

These terms were set out by the regulator to ensure that the customer doesn't get stiffed in these circumstances.

Reply to
fred

they told me the date it ends - that's it.

uswitch says it takes 4-6 weeks to complete the change?

"terms" ??

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

They lied, if you notify them of your intention to switch before the end date of your deal then it continues until your switch is complete.

Yes, and for those 4-6 weeks you will benefit from receiving your old fixed rate. The 10 (or 20) day limit is for the new provider to initiate the switch with the old one following your notice of change.

Just what I have repeated above, they have to continue your deal until the switch is complete provided you meet the conditions I have stated.

This is based on experience of 2 switches I have carried out following the end of fixed rate deals.

Reply to
fred

This has never happened when I have switched.

Reply to
Mark

Did you pre-notify your supplier of your intention to switch before the end of the fixed rate period? That is a pre-condition of the regulator's forced continuation of the fixed rate until switch time.

Reply to
fred

I can't recall if I explicitly notified them but I did start the switch weeks before the end of the fixed rate period.

One supplier had very strange T&Cs which stated that you lose all discounts in your last bill so you need to time it carefully. However they tried to rip me off by delaying the bill.

Reply to
Mark