OTish: powering multiple laptops from a single source

Assuming they are all the same, and they have two pin power inputs, then in theory there is nothing to stop you feeding several from the same supply.

More practical problems include finding a suitable supply which can deliver enough current to power several at a time. You may be able to use an off the shelf computer PSU with 5V and 12V rails in series if 17V is enough - however many seem to be 19V these days.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yeah, but they would more than likely need internal modding to do that, both those typically heavy 5V & 12V rails on PC and non-PC supplies (like I rescue from all sorts) share a common ground.

Reply to
Adrian C

Yup good point. You could string the laptop between -12V and 5V - but then the current available on the negative rails is usually far more limited.

Reply to
John Rumm

I have a cheap laptop car PSU which even in the open air failed to adequately power a lowly ThinkPad R32. Added a tiny fan cannibalised from an old K6 heatsink and it runs happily for ever.

Reply to
Skipweasel

That's OK except that sometimes the PSUs are needed in class 'cos some eejit hasn't charged them properly beforehand. Which, for what I want to do, complicates matters considerably.

Reply to
Skipweasel