OTish; Laptops

You can. You can "download" from say google docs sheet into a excel format file on your machine.

Reply to
John Rumm

I think you are missing the point, that if you plan to buy Word, then in general you need windows.

Reply to
John Rumm

OK, I'm genuinely surprised. I just know of one local school where mobiles are banned and even confiscated.

Some years ago I know of a school that requested phones weren't brought in, and with caveat if one was lost or stolen at school, there would be no investigation by staff.

It sounds a sensible policy, but I would be concerned over the ruggedness laptop when taken into school seeing how things can be treated. I might expect tears at some point!

Reply to
Fredxxx

I run Windows Word on a Linux Distro.

Reply to
Bod

No you don't.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Wait till the "updates" start

Reply to
stuart noble

We also get the Times Digital Archive from 1785, and a few other useful things, with a library card. Not very well promoted though. For Which and Ancestry you need to be at a library computer

Reply to
stuart noble

We'll put that to the test - the kids have had access to a laptop before so I have a baseline.

They use a pad too and I almost never get asked about that.

I'm expecting a chromebook to be nearer the pad than the laptop.

Reply to
Tim Watts

That's interesting - might get a library card...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Oh you're no fun any more! Lots of people seem to be addicted to the drudgery.

Reply to
stuart noble

You are just relying on google doing a good job at avoiding software problems.. a shame there has been more exploitable code in chrome than in IE for the last couple of years.

Reply to
dennis

Which version?

Reply to
dennis

Zorin 9.

Reply to
Bod

They started years ago but it hasn't made any difference. The thing that has made a difference is the auto updaters that people install, like google, apple, adobe, and everyone else. Just turn them off and let avast keep them up to date. If everyone used windows update it would be a lot better. Its the main user advantage of having an APP store, all the updates come via one route.

Reply to
dennis

He was talking about elderly relatives, not kids.

But kids aren't the same thing as elderly relatives.

Reply to
Simon Brown

Wine or virtual box?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Both have issues with laptops that involve me, IME...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Which doesnt include word. I ask again was that Wine or VBox?

Or are you actually running libre office and think its word?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, of word.

Reply to