OTish; Laptops

It will scan at any reasonable resolution up to its optical one. I use 300, 600, 2400 most often.

Reply to
dennis

That's terrible software, I never got the auto feeder to work with it.

Reply to
dennis

+1
Reply to
Bod

The worst thing about windows is the updating, which bloats the OS and eventually slows the machine to a crawl. Then you need to spend money upgrading RAM. A mug's game.

Reply to
stuart noble

Is that why you need less RAM for the latest windows than the previous versions?

Reply to
dennis

Alas only 11.6".

Can you not use a USB or portable hard drive?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I thought Linux was a character in Peanuts?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No, but neither do any of the tablets either and few use a newsreader.

Reply to
Simon Brown

Lot better to open the file in that format instead.

Open/Libre Office tends to treat them as a

Reply to
Simon Brown

But still not as good with the latest hardware as Win, essentially because any manufacturer with even half a clue ensures it works with Win.

Reply to
Simon Brown

Yes, when I bothered to update my Win7 OS, it would take ages, sometimes failing to complete the installation of some part or other, requiring a repeat. Since I only use Windows for one programme that I can't get to work with Linux, I never connect to the internet while running Windows, so I don't care about updates. Simple!

Reply to
Davey

Since I use it with a flatbed scanner, an auto feeder is pointless.

Reply to
Davey

Maybe, I have never tried it, but xsane does fine for me.

That's what I do with xsane.

Never used the GIMP for scanning, (I didn't know you could), but it is my picture manipulation programme. And it has lots of bells and whistles, far more than I could ever learn. I particularly like the Perspective adjustment feature, Cntrl-P.

Reply to
Davey

You will with a chromebook too. Even more if they have used a conventional laptop before.

Reply to
Simon Brown

As opposed to one a day with Windows?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, you misunderstand. I means that scanner software that tries to do what Gimp does is a waste of time IMHO.

scan with simple scan to a raw image THEN process.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Trivially avoidable by not updating.

Not if you have enough of a clue to have plenty in the first place.

Reply to
Simon Brown

Ok. I use scanner software to scan, and GIMP to manipulate. Makes sense to me.

Reply to
Davey

This is kind of the selling point...

A very simple to use device, that works - does all the basics, and you don't need to worry about keeping software up to date, running anti virus software etc or any of the other drudgery associated with "more capable" platforms.

Reply to
John Rumm

Apropos of not much, did you know that if you go to

you can look stuff up on the full OED without a subscription by stuffing your library card number in instead...?

Reply to
John Rumm