OTish; Laptops

Well over on turnpike support they say that it doesn't run under 64 bit.

Mind you its a very olde programme now but I really like the interface and the way it works:)..

No plans here to go 4 bit for a while yet, but the second hand laptop came with WIN 7 64 bit ..

What's the big user advantage of 64 ?..

Reply to
tony sayer

Understood.. my missus had that problem and then bought a copy of Kingsoft and didn't seem to have any further problems..

Yep, I suspect that wordpad would suffice for most peoples needs;)..

Reply to
tony sayer

I suspect that this debate will run and run and run till we get a UKIP govvermint;!..

Reply to
tony sayer

I'm running Office 2008 on my Mac.

Reply to
Tim Streater

2008 !?
Reply to
Bod

Unless you have more RAM not a lot. Quite a lot of the old stack exploits probably fail but any recent AV software will catch them anyway.

Reply to
dennis

Version 12.3.6 to be precise.

Reply to
Tim Streater

That version must be specifically for Macs...yes?

Reply to
Bod

In message , The Natural Philosopher writes

Well, I'm playing with Haiku (son of BeOS) on a real machine because I couldn't get it to work virtually. I suppose no-one here is an expert?

The demise of Beos still makes me sad, but I don't think I would recommend it to Dave!

Reply to
Bill

In message , Bod writes

or

will give an impression.

Haiku is for all intents and purposes, Beos, and seems to have nightly builds, but the last official release was in, I think, 2012. That's what I'm playing with, and it is still very nearly an attractive OS.

I got quite a long way into Beos years ago, but ran out of time and gave up because I never managed to get the local networking going.

I still can't, but haven't spent much time on it.

Reply to
Bill

You have my sympathy.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well CPU intensive stuff runs twice as fast.

I guess thats 'not a lot'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That is just plain wrong.

and thats sod all these

Reply to
Simon Brown

But there isn't any point in complicating things by not using the OS that has the must have app that is only available on that OS and having to pay more for the extra ram so it runs well.

Reply to
Simon Brown

Rubbish, name something that does.

Reply to
dennis

You can use more than 4GB of ram. Plenty of users find that useful. I'm currently using 6GB.

Reply to
Simon Brown

Really depends on what they use at work. Doesn?t really make much sense to not use what you use at work at home too.

Reply to
Simon Brown

Well so am I but I only really need it when running 2GB of it as a XP virtual machine ;-)

As I write its only using 1.7GB for a browser with a flash movie in it, and thunderbird.

The rest is file caching.

Makes it pretty fast to use the file cache tho, especially as its SSD based for the operating system.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher