OTish; Laptops

Lol.

Reply to
Bod

2007
Reply to
Bod

Ahh, audio (especially pro/semi-pro audio) is a problem, I'll give you that.

Reply to
Huge

Sure, but I bet if you gave the geriatrics who had used Win previously a chromebook, you would get plenty of questions about how to use it.

Reply to
Simon Brown

Tell me about it. Having just returned from a week-long holiday^WIT support call with my mother in Pennsylvania. When I switched my 'phone back on at Heathrow, she'd already sent 2 emails complaining about things.

Given that one of the things I'd done was convert her from dial-up to broadband that's 25 times faster than mine, I think she's got a damn cheek.

Reply to
Huge

You can, and if you do this all the time doubtless you will find it easy. My wife has never managed to remember how to, and on the rare occasions where she asks me to copy, edit, or print something I find it so unintuitive that these days I get her to email me an attachment. (She can normally manage to do that).

Reply to
newshound

In article , Davey scribeth thus

Yep, just give it a go, it seems to be a knock off copy of m$ orifice..

Reply to
tony sayer

Team viewer or LogMeIn required perhaps;?..

Reply to
tony sayer

I've actually just given a rather older friend of 83 years a WIN 7 desktop to replace his now deceased Mac, thats the CRT one in the rounded plastic case.

He's got the hang of Thunderbird, Word, and a few other programs and his comment was,

"I wish I'd had one of these a long time ago"

Reply to
tony sayer

Fer Christ sakes!, WIN 7 can only use 4 G of RAM and thats sod all these days.

This WIN machine updates no and again and its very fast mainly because of a solid state drive:).

But using spinning rust it was no slouch before either...

Reply to
tony sayer

Poor thing: now she's got to write her emails 25-times faster. How's an old lady supposed to keep up?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Yep Audio is probably the crappiest part of Linux at the moment

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Windows 7 64 bit system can use up to 193GB of ram. It's only the 32 bit system that's restricted to use just a bit less than 4GB.

Reply to
Bod

Sorry! *192* GB.

Reply to
Bod

Yep. Done that. That was another point of upgrading her to B/B. That and Skype.

Reply to
Huge

Believe you me, she manages.

Reply to
Huge

I am in a similar situation with a man who has a windows laptop and had a disatrously slow crap ridden windows XP setup

He's now got linux, and is slowly getting to know how to click on icons and buttons 'just like windows'

Frankly I prefer linux here because you can tailor the desktop to suit the person you are setting it up for.

Once the application is launched, its a near identical experience in any OS. Thunderbird/Firefox has more or less the same controls in the same places on MAC WIN or LIN clients for example.

Which is why I don't understand - unless its fanbois parroting marketing

- all this religion between desktops. A desktop is, when all is said and done a way to launch applications. The applications are the 'user experience', not the desktop. And as more and more apps are now free on all platforms, you really only choose the OS based on price and performance, and there linux is a clear winner.

The only other reason to favour one OS over another, is if 'must have' apps run on it. But there the magic of virtualisation means that, given enough RAM, you can run as many operating systems as you like on a base platform.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes thats what we have the 32 bit, can't really see any reason to change couldn't use me Turnpike on that;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

It should run on the 64 bit version, you don't need new apps just because you use 64 bit windows. There were some really bad apps that didn't work as they asked how much disk/ram was there and thought the answer was negative once they got big enough.

Reply to
dennis

I suspect that Kingsoft or one of the other Open Office packages would be absolutely fine for what I think Dave is likely to need.

I wouldn't use it for my consultancy work because my clients use Office, and the more advanced WORD features like tables of contents, endnotes, cross references etc are not compatible. This matters if you are writing or updating 50 page technical reports, it is unlikely to be a problem for preparing specifications, advertising material, invoices, and general correspondance.

Similarly people in the financial world who use macros in Excel spreadsheets extensively would presumably be well advised to stick with Office.

One merit of really cheap hardware is that it might actually be worth buying a pair of chromebooks, that way you have an instant backup if one dies / breaks / gets stolen. (I ended up buying a duplicate laptop because a clients' security software trashed my first machine, resulting in a warrenty replacement of the hard drive).

Reply to
newshound