OTish fibre broadband,home networking etc

Yes, if it an old crap true hub that only does 10Mbit.

Basic gig switches are cheap as chips these days - I recommend the Netgear ones for basic simple gig switching.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes, I suppose it could be a 10Mbps hub.

Anyway, panic over. Having spent far too much of my life lying on the floor, trying various combinations, plugging, unplugging and constantly running speed tests, son says don't worry Dad, I can connect the PS wirelessly. Argh! Why didn't he say that before?

However, just in case that does not work, what do I need? There seem to be countless LB-LINK 5 Port Fast Ethernet Switch LAN Network Hub Wired RJ45 Splitter BL-S515 for less than a tenner delivered. That'll do the job?

Reply to
News

Not a 10 Mbps hub that you've just tried. Apart from the 10 Mbps aspect a hub is just a glorified distribution amplifier. What ever comes in on any port goes out of all the others. A switch takes note of MAC address's and switches the packets to the correct port.

Gigabit switches are cheap, personally I've slightly gone off Netgear recently and would look at TP-Link first. But TBH if you stick to a known brand and a sensible price for a 5 port Gigabit switch your won't go far wrong.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Netgear GS105 is a 5 port gig switch for less than £20 - I've used the 8 port variant and they are quite respectable. Very simple, no features, just honest decent switching.

Reply to
Tim Watts

almost anything will.

chipsets for 10/100/1Gnps ethernet switches exist at sub dollar pruces. The rest is just packaging

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Bera in mind that unless it's the latest version, wireless won't be

*that* fast (theoretically about 50Mb/s, in practice possibly a lot less).
Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , Bob Eager writes

We're very lucky - the DSLAM is right outside the house. I gather that is where fibre ends and copper takes over. The copper goes from the cabinet straight to the telegraph pole then into our house. Modem is plugged directly into the master socket, and, via cable, we get high sixties or seventy. Even wireless is 40+. Needless to say, son is NOT going to be happy unless he gets at least as good a speed as his parents do :-) That is why I've been buggering around with cables etc.

Reply to
News