OTish: Can you wash a single quilt in a washing machine?

Got a visitor coming next weekend, just wondered if anyone has had any success putting a single quilt through a domestic wash cycle?

Any tips? Got to be cheaper than the laundrette, surely?

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

we wash duvets.

they stink and need to be hung outside fora while then dried in the tumbler and even then the the feathers are a clogged mess that only a day or two in the boiler cupboard restores to fluffiness.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Can't help wondering if this is to ensure a clean duvet for the guest - or to clean it up after they have departed?

Some washing machines would manage some single duvets. You need to use only a small amount of detergent - nowhere near as much as a full load of ordinary washing. Even then, you might find it a good idea to give it a second rinse cycle.

Reply to
polygonum

The washing part is fairly ok. The drying part is a problem. Or two. :)

Synthetic fill will usually dry ok eventually - but a domestic tumble dryer isn't much use. The quilt needs space to fall through the air stream so a laundrette tumble dryer is needed unless you can get a really good outside drying session.

Natural (down or down/feather) fill can't be cleaned using domestic systems. They have to be dry cleaned and given plenty of time for the chemicals to evaporate off.

The laundrette looks ok really... Or a new quilt. ;)

Reply to
mick

Thanks everyone I think I'll just buy a new one, only a tenner in Tescos. After the visitor has gone :)

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

MIL's washer is bigger than ours.

Reply to
mogga

I only have experience of hollow fibre ones.

I have put them in the bath, sprinkled with washing power, showered and given a pounding.

Perform a long rinse using a shower until the water runs clear.

If you fold them much of the water will drain out. Stand up to empty the hollow fibres of water.

Carry downstairs (water dripping everywhere!) and place on a sturdy line!

Washing in a washing machine is the best way to make the duvet filling uneven as hell!!

Reply to
Fredxx

Make sure you read the label carefully, one I had specified the maximum weight not the minimum. If the drum is two big things can bunch up and break.

Reply to
dennis

You most certainly can wash down and feather duvets!

For example, one John Lewis duvet has these instructions:

Tumble Dry Yes, at lower temperature

Washing Instructions Machine washable at 40°C

Indeed, I think you should NOT dry clean them. Supported by this:

Would it be better to dry clean my down bedding? We DO NOT recommend dry-cleaning ANY down product. The chemicals used within dry-cleaning fluids can damage down and shorten its life.

polygonum

A case was reported where a down sleeping bag was dry cleaned and not aired properly. The occupant was found dead in the morning from the fumes.

Reply to
Matty F

Our king-size natural down filled duvet goes into the washer when it needs it - we have a hoist thing[1] we put it over and shake it out/turn it twice a day - it's usually properly dry in under 2 days in the summer.

Said on the label it can be machine washed!

Gordon [1] "Shiela maid"

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

Key thing is it must be dried before the down starts going off.

A problem emerged with some chinese ones 20 or more years ago. The down tended to have excess duck flesh attached. It had been rapidly dried as part of the initial cleaning of the down so this wasn't noticable, but if you washed it, you rehydrated the duck flesh, and a few days later, you tended to have a smelly quilt full of maggots.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Our experience says they can.

see earlier post

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On Monday 11 November 2013 18:03 Mentalguy2k8 wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Yes - works fine.

Use less detergent and you may have to run a second soap free wash to get adequate rinsing.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Washing's no problem, though don't exceed 40C. Drying is the issue area, I use a fan to ensure it dries in time.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

This is not true. We wash our duvets in a domestic washing machine. We dry them on the line outside, or hanging on the clothes airer in the bathroom. (A tumble drier would be faster, but evaporation plus shaking works eventually.)

Reply to
Martin Bonner

I can certainly wash a single duvet in my own normal sized washing machine. Just dry it on the line outside or on a radiator. I think a double or kingsize would be a struggle.

Reply to
Dave Baker