OTish: Boxing in pipework

OT because this is work not play ...

I am designing a parget to liven up a deep dark light well. Up the sides of this light well run various waste pipes and drainage pipes. Some of them run the whole height, some come out of the wall and go down, some come out of the wall and go up

I am wondering if these pipes could be boxed in and rendered over to give me a simpler surface to desgn on to, but I am slightly dubious about this idea, what happens if the pipes need changing later on and how much access needs to be allowed - would a gap at top and bottom be enough so new pipe could be fed in? I really dont want some plumber ripping holes in my parget in 20 years time. I dont remember ever seeing boxed in pipework like I am imagining, but then I suppose I wouldnt ...

Is the idea feasible or should I go back to trying to design around the pipes :-(

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

Anna - ignorance ... but what is a parget ?

Reply to
Rob G

Can't say I personally would consider making allowances for replacing pipes. As long as the plumbing is done correctly there shouldn't be any need to replace them, and if some time in the way ahead future pipes do for some reason need replacing then that'll be somone elses job to re-instate what you are doing.

However.... for your own peace of mind, would it not be feaseable to have the flat faces of the boxing attached by Brass or other non-corrosive screws just in the corners and lightly disguised with plaster or paint etc so should the panels ever need to be removed then only minimal repair work would need to be carried out to replace areas where screws are located ?

Just an idea.

Pete

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Parget is ornamental plasterwork, usually modelled in lime plaster and often on the outside of buildings. It was fashionable from about 1570 to 1780. You can see plenty of old parget in Suffolk and north Essex and it is still a live trade in this area

Pretty pictures:

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

Rob G coughed up some electrons that declared:

You just asked the group's leading expert.

Standby...

:)

Reply to
Tim S

In message , Anna Kettle writes

Wonderful - but there is no space between Birk and hall :-)

Reply to
Graeme

I would have thought that allowing access at top and bottom is more than enough. Lets face it, you don't normally get even that!

Reply to
John Rumm

If boxing in seems essential you could try boarding on vertical hinges for the sides that have pipes etc with concealed catches so they can be swung clear of the pipes behind far enough to allow access for repairs and replacement

Noted! I will alter it

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

Though as Anna said there are pipes and wastes going through the wall at various places, you'd not get acess to the bends partway down. Not that it is normally necessary

Reply to
chris French

Not normally but a lot depends on how easy access is elsewhere and if any of these wastes have access points at the bends.

I think it would be best to box in, makes for a uniform shape/surface for the pargeting. Ensure the boxing has removable panel(s) and design the pargetting such that they can be removed without major damage. Make sure such panels are large enough to gets hands/tools in to be able to work on the pipes mind, no "keyhole surgery". B-)

Not sure how you leave information such that the boxing does have panels and where the screws are for the panels. Maybe that could be incorporated into the pargeting some how?

The void in the boxing also provides a handy way to run cables between floors should that become necessary in the future. No surface cables...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice