OT: You couldn't make it up

Or, April 1 is early this year.

The horrifying thing is, they may not be having a laugh at all.

The Natural Philosopher

harry

The Natural Philosopher scribbled

The poor, sad turnip needs to get a life.

Reply to
Jonno

Very funny spoof on feminist sociology. Egg on the face for the journal. :-)

I liked "alternative representations of glaciers" and "human-ice interactions" in that abstract.

Also loved this sort of nonsense in the paper itself:-

"Women often do possess different knowledge about glaciers due to many issues, such as: spending more time than men attending to livestock near Andean glaciers (Dunbar and Medina Marcos, 2012); managing agriculture, terracing, and irrigation that includes the distribution of glacier runoff in highland Peruvian communities"

"The feminist glaciology framework draws attention to those who dominate and frame the production of glaciological knowledge, the gendered discourses of science and knowledge, and the ways in which colonial, military, and geopolitical domination co-constitute glaciological knowledge."

Reply to
pamela

Abstract: "Glaciers are key icons of climate change and global environmental change. However, the relationships among gender, science, and glaciers ? particularly related to epistemological questions about the production of glaciological knowledge ? remain understudied. This paper thus proposes a feminist glaciology framework with four key components: 1) knowledge producers; (2) gendered science and knowledge; (3) systems of scientific domination; and (4) alternative representations of glaciers. Merging feminist postcolonial science studies and feminist political ecology, the feminist glaciology framework generates robust analysis of gender, power, and epistemologies in dynamic social-ecological systems, thereby leading to more just and equitable science and human-ice interactions."

Obvious, innit! Global warming is caused by wimmin!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

That's a masculine centric comment typical of the semiotic epistemology the authors have fought so hard to contest in an attempt to inform those inclined towards simplistic "ice is just ice" discourses typical of widely-circulated gendered glacial discussions set in a context of a neo-patriarchal official ice core dominated theories which, according to commentators, seek to reframe power-knowledge dynamics and imperialistic notions of institutional, cultural, and scientific home repair techniques used for D-I-Y in the UK.

Reply to
pamela

Reads like it was written by computer!

Reply to
The Other John

So far beyond sophistry, it has to be a joke.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

LOL! Very good. You didn't write the original abstract did you? :-)

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I don't know. A lot of my gendered discussions tend to be glacial.

Reply to
Bill

You do that far far too well.

Scary.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Actually, not that difficult apparently. See

You supply the authors' names and it produces the credible gibberish!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

See these. :-)

pamela

My first reaction was that it was a spoof, like that famous one by a physicist which I can't for the moment track down.

Mind you, my first wife was pretty glacial....

Reply to
newshound

I liked the spoof which suckered the International Archives of Medicine into publishing a paper which proved that eating chocolate is good for you.

Well, I knew that already. :-)

pamela

Huge

Cultural meltdown? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

LOL

Reply to
bert

Do you really think science isn't gendered?

Reply to
RJH

What does the question mean?

Reply to