OT; WTF is a .vcf file?

Recently two different landlords have asked me about jobs via text message.

When asked for tenants details, both have replied with what looks like a text but is titled something like 'fredbloggs.vcf.

I've tried to open them, only been given the option to save, then can't find any or the details.

Galaxy Ace 2 smartphone.

Any clues?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Apparently a 'virtual contact file' - or electronic business card.

Hope this helps Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Still don't know how to open the buggers :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The Contacts app on your phone should know how to open them.

Reply to
Huge

I think Nokia phones used to do that, send an address book entry as a text, and another Nokia would then be able to save it to the address book on the receiving end, but it should be understandable by eye

e.g. something like

BEGIN:vCard VERSION:3.0 FN:David Lang ORG:The Medway Handyman ADR;TYPE=POSTAL:3, St Albans Road;Rochester;Kent;ME2 2RT;UK TEL;TYPE=WORK:+44-1634717930 TEL;TYPE=MOBILE:+44-07850 597 257 EMAIL;TYPE=INTERNET: snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk URL:

END:vCard

Reply to
Andy Burns

Can you gain access to this account on a pc? There you might be able to open them with the open with function of Windows which will allow you to try things like notepad.

These people who send daft files just need to be told that you need it as text in the body of the message. I'm doing this most of the time when dingbats at the council attempt to send me outlook calendar files when I don't have Outlook or Apple I phone users who send me some bespoke apple attachment that is just gibberish. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Change the file extension to txt? Or simply tell it to open in Wordpad.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't you just Save them and they automagically get added to your contacts?

Reply to
AnthonyL

Reply to
Andy Burns

It's a vCard.

It's a standard way of exchanging contact details.

As the contents are pure text, it should be completely safe.

Many phones will be able to assign the correct data to the correct fields (name, mobile number etc), although some slight differences exist on the mapping of each field to the contact format on that model of phone.

Reply to
dom

Suggest you give them a wigging and ask for the details properly set out in an email.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You have to be hip or yuppy and with the iphone crowd they all use it now. You should have asked some kids in your family instead of us old fogies.

Reply to
F Murtz

Even my ancient Nokia can transfer data to my computer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

you use Microsoft Outlook, you can drag this into Contacts which then stores the address info in the file.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson

AFAIK iPhones only support vCards in MMS messages, not SMS messages. I think in the USA the price is the same for either, but over here you tend to get more SMS messages than you can shake a stick at included in your bundle, but the networks charge like a wounded rhino for MMS, so people don't use them.

Reply to
Andy Burns

TMH has a Samsung, you've never met Kies have you?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Ah and no. Despite having first got a mobile phone probably before anyone on here (for work contacts) I hate the things. So have as little to do with them as possible. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nope :-(

Reply to