OT: Woman sets house on fire while trying to kill a spider

I'm speechless

Reply to
gremlin_95

Not surprising, after discovering there are other ways to kill a spider besides chasing after it with a flame thrower.

Reply to
Nightjar

Why kill the spider at all, though?

Reply to
Mike Barnes

In article , Nightjar

Reply to
fred

You would be kept very busy if you tried to kill them all; there are, on average, 131 per square metre.

Reply to
Nightjar

131? You made that up?
Reply to
GB

I think she killed them all quite quickly...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

27.64% of statistics are made up.
Reply to
Mike Barnes

En el artículo , Mike Barnes escribió:

Quite. I rather like them, and they keep the insects down. If I find one stuck in the bath, I get it out carefully and gently put it outside.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In fact some say you are never more than a metre away from a spider.

Reply to
F Murtz

That is the result of a survey carried out in the UK and Holland a few years ago. Another figure given is one million per acre but ICBA to work out whether those two match. Most spiders are, of course, quite small.

Reply to
Nightjar

I have seen a claim that, globally, spiders eat around one third of a million tons of bugs every day. I have no idea how accurate that is though.

Reply to
Nightjar

I simply drape a towel over the side of the bath, and leave the spider to find its own way out. It never fails (though repeat visits do occur).

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Reply to
PeterC

In article ,

Reply to
Tim Streater

I'm speechless that we are still propelling aerosols with flammable gas.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

What should we use instead then?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I caught an episode of Mythbusters last week, where they tested a myth involving spray on suncream (no I didn't know either). They commented the propellant was likely butane or propane, since they don't need much pressure in the can, or some reason like that.

Being of the slighly thick persuasion, I never understood why they can't just use pressurised nitrogen ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Inflammable gas.

Reply to